african dwarf frog in a 3 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishGuy101, Dec 7, 2012.

1. F

FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

i have a African dwarf frog and a snail in a 3 gallon it has a small filter and cleans the tank pretty good but what i wanna know is if i could add another dwarf frog or possibly a small fish

2. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Assuming the tank is cycled and the snail is not a mystery/apple snail, you could and should. ADF are highly social critters who need companions imo. The only fish that is ok in 3gals is a betta and that is only if the fish is 100% alone. Betta and ADF won't work in a 3gal.

3. OP
    OP
    F

It's cycled and yes it is a mystery snail if that's a problem I could move him to my 40 gallon tall and how many more frogs an i get are they ok with live plants ?

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Mystery snails are bad for African Dwarf Frogs. Their waste is toxic to frogs.

Personally, I wouldn't put 2 ADF's in anything smaller than a 5 gallon.

5. OP
    OP
    F

It is uh oh but the original owner of the frog had a mystery snail with ir for 4 years and it's fine .... The snail grew to the size of a base ball

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

A Mystery needs a bigger tank is all. They, as you seem to know, can get rather big, and even the smaller ones need no less then 10gallons. They produce a lot of waste. I thought that ADF life span normally Maxed around 5 years. Not sure if I believe that the frog spent 4 years with a toxic waste producer tbh. Probably got replaced a few times.

7. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

If it is only ADFs in your 40gal, then you could get quite a few.

Just be careful of putting them with fish, make sure you check they will go ok living together first.

8. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

A 40g isn't an ideal home for ADF's.
    They really do better in shallower water. More like 10-12"
    Since they need to get to the top of air such a long swim would not only be stressful but young frogs may not make it.

For your 3g, only only frog would be recommended.

9. OP
    OP
    F

well the 40 galln wouldent work its a 40 gallon tall and i removed the snail today now its just the frog in the 3 gallon and i was planing to upgrade him 2 my old 10 gallon in the next few weeks but it has no heater or filter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice