30 Gallon Tank African dwarf frog has a red spot on head

bbydarlin

I have a african dwarf frog in a 30 gallon tank with some catfish and 1 dwarf gourami. I have had my frog for about 2 months now i think. I noticed 2 days ago a red spot on his head. I saw online to put in melafix because there might be bacteria. All of my other fish seem fine. My frog is eating and acting normal. I put it in daily but instead of doing it every day for 7 days i wanted to ask on here first. Does anyone know what it is? Should i continue the melafix?
You must be registered to see images

JuDom

Hi there!

I wouldn’t recommend dosing anything until you’re 100% sure of what your problem is.
What are your water parameters?
Usually in community tanks where only one inhabitant is affected, a separate “hospital” tank is ideal for healing.

He looks a lot lighter in color than what I usually see for ADFs. Maybe he was having a hard time shedding and then cut his head using something in the tank to help him remove the skin. Have you seen him shed before?

bbydarlin

Hi there!

I wouldn’t recommend dosing anything until you’re 100% sure of what your problem is.
What are your water parameters?
Usually in community tanks where only one inhabitant is affected, a separate “hospital” tank is ideal for healing.

He looks a lot lighter in color than what I usually see for ADFs. Maybe he was having a hard time shedding and then cut his head using something in the tank to help him remove the skin. Have you seen him shed before?
No i have never seen him shed before. I used a test strip and everything was normal. None of my fish are slow or anything. They are eating just fine too.

JuDom

No i have never seen him shed before. I used a test strip and everything was normal. None of my fish are slow or anything. They are eating just fine too.
It’s good to hear that your water parameters are in check, however I do recommend upgrading to the API Master Test Kit as it’s far more reliable and in the long term, more cost effective as well.

As for your ADF, I‘m not certain as to what’s caused the wound on his head but it’s definitely open for infection at this point. Do you have an extra tank that you can separate him while he heals?
I’ve heard mixed things about using aquarium salts with ADF, that’s usually my go-to for open wounds on any other fish but I’ve heard they have an intolerance to it. Furthermore, most bacterial meds we use for our fish aren’t suitable for them. But Methylene Blue is considered safe and I would recommend that if you see any sign of infection.

I’m very surprised to hear that you haven’t seen him shed. My ADFs shed once every 2 weeks on average and they’re pale prior to removing their skin and then a nice deep grayish-brown when they’re done.
They’re also social creatures and with so much space in your tank, you have room to add a few more because they don’t have a large bio load.

Has the wound gotten worse? Better?

bbydarlin

It’s good to hear that your water parameters are in check, however I do recommend upgrading to the API Master Test Kit as it’s far more reliable and in the long term, more cost effective as well.

As for your ADF, I‘m not certain as to what’s caused the wound on his head but it’s definitely open for infection at this point. Do you have an extra tank that you can separate him while he heals?
I’ve heard mixed things about using aquarium salts with ADF, that’s usually my go-to for open wounds on any other fish but I’ve heard they have an intolerance to it. Furthermore, most bacterial meds we use for our fish aren’t suitable for them. But Methylene Blue is considered safe and I would recommend that if you see any sign of infection.

I’m very surprised to hear that you haven’t seen him shed. My ADFs shed once every 2 weeks on average and they’re pale prior to removing their skin and then a nice deep grayish-brown when they’re done.
They’re also social creatures and with so much space in your tank, you have room to add a few more because they don’t have a large bio load.

Has the wound gotten worse? Better?
The wound hasnt changed and i have a lot of hiding spots cause my gourami likes to hide. I clean the tank once a week and havent seen any shedding. Is that a bad thing? I only have a small fish bowl for a side tank. Doesnt have much room. Should i go get atleast a 10 gallon? My frog likes to hang out right next to the heater in my tank. It looks a bit lighter now and not as red but still has it there and same size.

JuDom

It could be a sign that he’s not getting enough to eat. Skin shedding = Growth.
What do you feed him?
I feed my ADF’s in the same spot on the bottom of the tank every time. They’re omnivores and need a mixed diet. I feed sinking frog pellets which are mainly bugs, freeze dried blood worms that I pre-soak so they sink also and mine love the occasional spinach or zucchini I throw in for the shrimp.
Also, if the wound appears less red..that’s a good sign. If he’s still acting normal otherwise and there’s no sign of infection. I guess you can ride it out and see.
But definitely get that little guy some friends..could build confidence and increase his eating also.

bbydarlin

It could be a sign that he’s not getting enough to eat. Skin shedding = Growth.
What do you feed him?
I feed my ADF’s in the same spot on the bottom of the tank every time. They’re omnivores and need a mixed diet. I feed sinking frog pellets which are mainly bugs, freeze dried blood worms that I pre-soak so they sink also and mine love the occasional spinach or zucchini I throw in for the shrimp.
Also, if the wound appears less red..that’s a good sign. If he’s still acting normal otherwise and there’s no sign of infection. I guess you can ride it out and see.
But definitely get that little guy some friends..could build confidence and increase his eating also.
I feed him some freeze dried blood worms. I put a lot in cause all my fish will eat it. I can buy him some frog pellets too. I will go get another adf on saturday so he can have a friend. Thank you for your help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Angelfishfinatic
Replies
Views
Paper Spiders
Replies
Views
Redshark1
  • Question
Replies