African Dwarf Frog Gender?

babiimoore
he was just a baby what do I do? ):

Advertisement
Rtessy
Did you find him?? Try looking under and behind furniture and the tank.
I'm sorry

babiimoore
I feel so horrible.. I left a little space open on top because I wanted him to get oxygen efficiently. I looked everywhere.. he couldve jumped out at any time, I haven't checked on him all night.. I feel terrible. he wouldve been better off if I left him at the petstore.

Advertisement
Velvet.Lilithi
I feel so horrible.. I left a little space open on top because I wanted him to get oxygen efficiently. I looked everywhere.. he couldve jumped out at any time, I haven't checked on him all night.. I feel terrible. he wouldve been better off if I left him at the petstore.
I read an advice on another post. It said to turn off all lights and get a flashlight. As they are meant to blend in, you may not see him in normal light, but with the flashlight he would cast a shadow if you pointed at him in your search.

Good luck, I hope you find him and he's well. I lost a fishy last week because of jumping out of a quarantine tank with lid on top but tiny hole for an air stone tube. He jumped out through it during night and I found him in the morning .

oodelally
Where you able to find him yet?

I’m so sorry, I’ve been so worried about the same thing happening

Advertisement
oodelally
I feel terrible. he wouldve been better off if I left him at the petstore.

You can’t think like that. You took really good care of him. He was practically starved to death when you got him. Most likely he would have died long before now from hunger. If he was lucky enough for someone to get him before that happened and they were able to get him to eat, there is a good chance he would have gone into a too small tank, or a tank with the wrong inhabitants, or even uncycled one. And he would never had gotten pretreated. Most people who go to petco don’t know what they are doing or do research what they are doing. You cared for him and gave him a good life, and only had the best of intentions.

babiimoore
still no sign of louie ):

midna
still no sign of louie ):

;;;;;;; I hope by some miracle he's still in the tank and okay....

babiimoore
his temporary tank was just a 2 gallon container with a spare heater and a stem of anacharis.. hes gone.

Samuel97
his temporary tank was just a 2 gallon container with a spare heater and a stem of anacharis.. hes gone.
Aww I'm sorry, he still had a better life in the time you had him than he would have done starving at the store

babiimoore
I have no idea where he could’ve gone. ive moved everything in the room and there's no sign of him. I was thinking it could’ve happened not too long before I saw he was missing because there was a small puddle of water next to the container. wish I could’ve found him.. do you think he would’ve tried to find a place to hide?..

Samuel97
I have no idea where he could’ve gone. ive moved everything in the room and there's no sign of him. I was thinking it could’ve happened not too long before I saw he was gone because there was a small puddle of water next to the container. wish I could’ve found him.. do you think he would’ve tried to find a place to hide?..

ITs possible. do you have a cat?

babiimoore
ITs possible. do you have a cat?

no but I have a chihuahua, basically the same thing ha.

Samuel97
no but I have a chihuahua, basically the same thing ha.

Then I'm afraid it is possible.... Although nasty... that he is long gone.. opsps:

Kjeldsen
Don't beat yourself up, it's happened to many of us I'm sure. I found mine in the bathroom of all places. You'd think an aquatic frog would not choose to leave the water entirely, but they're curious little guys.

Dhmario
Hi, I have 2 afds and I know the gender of one, but I’m not sure of the other. 1 is a male and I think the other is female because I don’t see the gland under her arms. First picture will be of the male and other of the other frog. Thanks

Attachments

• 50D0B21D-0AF5-4BDA-9F07-7709D8E86C01.jpeg
    50D0B21D-0AF5-4BDA-9F07-7709D8E86C01.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 31
  • E61ED2B6-A537-486E-9443-F94DCF7A4509.jpeg
    E61ED2B6-A537-486E-9443-F94DCF7A4509.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 28
  • 38836F77-2A39-4CBB-8254-3D79E5567C2B.jpeg
    38836F77-2A39-4CBB-8254-3D79E5567C2B.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 25
Lucy
Hi dHmario, thr 2nd one is hard to tell. It's not plump like a mature female.
Immature males won't have the lump under their arms. How long have you had them?

Can you get a good side view of the 2nd frog?

Aquariumlover1357
It looks exactly like one of my male frogs. I think it is a male, since it looks smaller, and it looks like there is a small bump on the frog in the first picture, but it's not very clear.

Dhmario
Hi dHmario, thr 2nd one is hard to tell. It's not plump like a mature female.
Immature males won't have the lump under their arms. How long have you had them?

Can you get a good side view of the 2nd frog?
I’ve had them for almost 6 months, but I’m not sure exactly how old they are. I noticed the gland on the male about a week ago so I’m guessing they’re still young. This one doesn’t like to sit still lol but I think I got a decent side view.
It looks exactly like one of my male frogs. I think it is a male, since it looks smaller, and it looks like there is a small bump on the frog in the first picture, but it's not very clear.
I know that the first one is a male but I’m not sure about the one in the other pictures.

Attachments

• 22DAAD87-CEEF-4893-8FD8-4492C11E27BB.jpeg
    22DAAD87-CEEF-4893-8FD8-4492C11E27BB.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 24
  • E5E83419-FBB9-4F88-B1D3-6650A46238F1.jpeg
    E5E83419-FBB9-4F88-B1D3-6650A46238F1.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 27
Lucy
Thanks for posting the pictures, they can be cheeky little buggers!

Looking at that angle in the 2nd picture I'd lean female because of the belly but I don't see a little tail nub. I can't really tell 100%. You might just have to wait especially since your other little man just got his man glands a week ago.

Dhmario
Thanks for posting the pictures, they can be cheeky little buggers!

Looking at that angle in the 2nd picture I'd lean female because of the belly but I don't see a little tail nub. I can't really tell 100%. You might just have to wait especially since your other little man just got his man glands a week ago.
Thank you! Hopefully it’s a female so that I don’t have to change her name like I did with the male lol. If I have any updates I will be sure to post!

Lucy
What are their names?

Dhmario
What are their names?
The one I am unsure of the gender is Thicky Nicky I didn’t name this one but the name stuck lol and the males name was Gwen Stefroggy but I changed to Snoop Frog after I realized he was actually a male.

Lucy
You don't have to change the name just change the spelling! Nickie!

Dhmario
You don't have to change the name just change the spelling! Nickie!
Or I could drop the Y’s a thick Nick

Dhmario
I wanted to give an update... the other frog is in fact a female. So I have 1 male and 1 female. If you zoom in on the first pic, you can see how I found that out. And the other 2 pics... well you see lol

Attachments

• A9FC277D-1153-4E71-9B2B-C6C688ABBF7E.jpeg
    A9FC277D-1153-4E71-9B2B-C6C688ABBF7E.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 21
  • AB6A49A1-C64F-41A4-B8CD-1004CAC12EDB.jpeg
    AB6A49A1-C64F-41A4-B8CD-1004CAC12EDB.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 4CE3DBC4-C3A7-46CD-8DA9-2016E8E4E639.jpeg
    4CE3DBC4-C3A7-46CD-8DA9-2016E8E4E639.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 22
Lucy
The first picture, well, sometimes young males don't get it quite right. They don't realize (or don't care) that their tank mate is also male. Oops. So unfortunately the 'hug' can be deceiving.
But the other pictures.....are they eggs? Congrats!

Dhmario
I believe they are! The only bad thing is that I have no where to put them. The only tank I have set up is the one with the frogs. Hopefully some will survive!

Lucy
It's hard to tell from the picture.
Try floating them in a container in the parent tank with a couple of springs of plant. That could work for a while.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Paper Spiders
Replies
Views
Kjeldsen
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views