African dwarf frog fungus

oliviawilliam2017

one of my frogs has developed small white cotton like patches on her back and head. she lives with 3 other frogs and as of right now, they all seem fine. her behavior is normal, she just has these patches on her. i’ve taken her out of her tank and put her in a quarantine tank. i haven’t treated with anything yet as i want to get opinions on treatment and how i should go about this. i’ve seen some say that meth blue or malachite green dips would help, or that diluted hydrogen peroxide brushed onto the spots would help. if anyone has any idea how to treat this properly let me know! thank you!

i will add that one of my other fish from another tank is currently being treated for saprolegnia. i’ve been very cautious about cross contamination, but i’m wondering if this is the same thing. does anyone know if ADFs can get saprolegnia?

226FD081-7832-48B5-BD70-3696B870C9CC.jpeg
F0A49F05-02DE-4FBA-AE4D-E8DA8476F869.jpeg

Lucy

Hi!
Not positive but isn't saprolegnia an opportunist? Meaning it develops on am open wound.
Could be wrong

Has your frog been injured in some way? Are you sure it's not a tuft of left over shed?
I'm not sure about the other meds. Maracyn-Oxy is safe.

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

Hi!
Not positive but isn't saprolegnia an opportunist? Meaning it develops on am open wound.
Could be wrong

Has your frog been injured in some way? Are you sure it's not a tuft of left over shed?
I'm not sure about the other meds. Maracyn-Oxy is safe.
thanks so much for replying!! i do believe so. from what i understand, saprolegnia is always living in the water. so you might be right about that. i’m not sure how she would get a scratch on her back like that though, there’s nothing rough in my tank like that

either way, yea, i’m sure it’s not stuck shed ): i wish it was that simple. as of right now i’m going to be diluting hydrogen peroxide and dabbing it onto the wounds, then maybe doing a meth blue bath. what brand of medication is that? i looked up maracyn oxy and found multiple different products

Upvote 0

Lucy

Mardel made Maroxy but it looks like it's sold by fritz under maracyn oxy now.

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

Mardel made Maroxy but it looks like it's sold by fritz under maracyn oxy now.
okay, thank you! also, the fungus just fell off of her. i lifted her up to apply diluted hydrogen peroxide and noticed that it was no longer on her body. i found the tuft of fungus and looked at it under the microscope, looks just like saprolegnia. i’m going to do a meth blue bath, let me know where you think i should go from here.

what i have circled is where the fungus tuft used to be, now it just looks like a very subtle white mark.

Upvote 0

Lucy

I can't comment on the methylene blue. I have never used it on my frogs.
It sounds like you're already doing the right thing if it fell off.

How are your water readings?

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

good, ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm and nitrate is 5ppm. i also did a water change today, any time i find disease in my tank i do daily water changes for about a week, so the main tank will be getting water changes daily

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

hi, i have another question for you regarding the same frog. she was in quarantine for a week and the fungus spot never reappeared so i figured it was safe to put her back in the main tank. it’s now been theee days since i did that and the fungus has popped up in the same spot. i’m going to dab diluted hydrogen peroxide on it and then do a meth blue bath for her.

my question is, is it even worth quarantining her at this point? i don’t even know if this is an actual fungus or if she somehow got a small wound and this is how it’s healing. she isn’t showing any signs of illness and none of the other frogs are either. i just hate to keep moving her around to different tanks and making her live alone for weeks if it’s not necessary.

Upvote 0

Lucy

Hm. how odd that your frog was ok in quarantine but the issue returned when she went back to the main tank?
I don't really know what to advise since I don't know what the infection is.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AstralBoii
  • Question
Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017
  • Question
Replies
Views