African Dwarf Frog Food? - Page 2

macifire

Left my frog 5 days w/o any food....still fat & happy when I came back!

aylad

Awesome! Glad he's ok.

MeganS

I'm glad that your frog is okay. I wish I had seen your post earlier. I too have ADFs and I recently had to leave them for 10 days. I couldn't find anyone that could care for them while I was gone so I chose to use a 14 day Tetra Vacation Gel Feeder Block that they sold at my LFS. My frogs seemed to enjoy it and they were fine when I got home. I would much rather feed them their frog pellets but if you have to leave them alone Tetra Vacation worked and didn't cloud my tank water. I just wanted to let you know in case you were in the same situation sometime down the road.

josh7

I don't know where else to put this but I just added 2 African Dwarf frogs to my 10 gallon was wondering if wax worms are suitable food source for them.

soltarianknight

I should think not. These are aquatic frogs, wax womrs are a high fat treat for most terrestrial lizards and inverts. Blood worms, brine shrimp and aquatic frog pellets(I use zoo med brand)

josh7

Are mealworms suitable food source for them then

soltarianknight

NO. These are NOT terrestrial species, they are aquatic and need aquatic food sources. Blod worms, brine shrimp, vinigar eels, texas worms, aquatic frog pellets.

josh7

Okay then are earthworms okay then and I can't feed them wax worms or mealworms at all.

jerilovesfrogs

no, see earthworms are from the earth....so they aren't aquatic. so don't feed em to the frogs. imo, bloodworms, brine shrimp and hbh frog pellets are a good diet.

soltarianknight

Ohhh HBH, been wanting some of that forever lol. Besides, most earth worms will be too big, even when young, for a ADF to handle.

Lucy

I've never fed earthworms but according to Frogbreeder you can.
Here's a thread where she mentions them.
Please read carefully.

And a quote from this thread:

Mysis shrimp; brine-shrimp; glassworms (mosquito larvae); bloodworms (best fed sparingly, if at all); beefheart; blackworms; tubifex worms; earthworms; whiteworms; talapia fish; tuna or salmon steak; shrimp, mussels and prawns (from the grocery store); gammarus and krill (not particular favourites but some frogs will eat them); even canned tuna or cooked chicken breast (but these are messy); smaller frogs will eat smaller foods such as daphnia (water-fleas), cyclops (water fleas), bosmidea (water fleas). Although liver is sometimes recommended, it should probably be avoided since there is new evidence to suggest that feeding liver can cause vitamin A toxicity (personally, I believe this to be true). - frogbreeder

There is another thread where she describes how to cut them for young frogs.
Sorry, I could find it.
Maybe do a search for her posts for instructions.

edit:
Here is another good thread:

josh7

Okay but I know the mealworms and wax worms are not great for them but could I feed them these for 3 or 4 days and would they be fine in the long run because in 3 or 4 data is when I can get earth worms.

Lucy

We can only give recommendations.
I feed mine the same as Jers recommends above.
Ultimately it's up to you what you want to do.
Earthworms should not be their staple diet either.

soltarianknight

Okay but I know the mealworms and wax worms are not great for them but could I feed them these for 3 or 4 days and would they be fine in the long run because in 3 or 4 data is when I can get earth worms.

The reason I'm advising against these foods is simply because I don't belive the frogs could digest them, adfs don't have super powerful jobs, mealies have hard exoskeletons and waxys are just fat tbh. You can probably get away with feeding a betta pellet or other fish pellet. Idealy you should be feeding a descent variety of foods, I think most will agree on that.

josh7

Okay then what about if I chopped up mealies and if not ingress I can try the pellets and if it's just fat it's just bad for them then isn't it.

soltarianknight

Waxys, and I'm sure you know this as a(reptile keeper I'm assuming is why you have these) are what youd feed as treats or fattners to reps. ADFs don't really need all that fat . Id go ahead with pellets, wouldnt want a constipated/impacted ADF on mealies, if you can get them small you may be able to chop them but they probably don't make a good source of food for the lil guys.

josh7

I just went out and borrowed 5 bucks from a friend and got some of the earthworms from petsmart are these a good diet

soltarianknight

I would aI'm for more variety. These are aquatics, they do eat aquatic foods, they are not your typical frog nor should they be treated as such. A good diet consists of multiple food sources. Try getting a frozen pack of food, normally you can get blood worms,brine shrimp in the same pack.

Lucy

Why didn't you just get HBH frog & tadpole bites which are geared for their nutrition.
I hate to sound harsh but when we buy a live animal we should be sure we have and can afford the proper foods.

josh7

Okay everyone is brine shrimp and earthworm pieces varied enough for their diet. Until I get paid on Thursday.

jerilovesfrogs

yeah, but I would def get the hbh when you get paid

-j

frogbreeder

Josh7: Sounds like you are already getting some excellent advice on feeding ADFs in this thread. I agree that things like mealworms and waxworms aren't the best foods for aquatic frogs, especially ADFs, because these foods are too difficult to digest. Yes, these foods are best left for terrestial frogs. ADFs have very delicate digestive systems and do best with softer foods. Earthworms are actually very good for ADFs (they are high in protein and contain plenty of calcium), but you definitely need to remove the fecal material and chop them into very small pieces first. It's important that the worms are free of pesticides and fertilizers (using worms sold for fishing bait isn't a good idea). And, although earthworms are a definite favourite, I wouldn't recommend feeding them as a staple diet; perhaps only once or twice a week as a treat along with other foods.

Because ADFs are predatory suction feeders (that is, they lunge at their prey and swallow it whole in one gulp), their food should be cut into very small, bite-sized pieces. A good rule of thumb is that if a frog must use its forelimbs to position the food in its mouth and help eat the food, then the pieces are too large.

Variety is best when feeding ADFs. But, if you can only give your frogs a single food, I would also suggest using HBH frog and tadpoles bites (or Jurassic Diet, or Zoo Med, etc., if you can't get HBH), if your frogs will eat them. These foods are specifically formulated for aquatic frogs and can be used as a staple diet, in a pinch, but variety is still best. Unfortunately, my frogs will not eat frog bites. i've tried several different brands without any luck. They don't seem to even recognize them as food. If they do put them in their mouth, they spit them out immediately and continue on foraging for something else. I suspect my frogs are too used to getting live or frozen foods instead, which are much tastier. So, if you do try HBH, just be sure your frogs are actually eating them (I'm told most frogs will).

Frozen brine shrimp are perfectly fine, but I've noticed that my frogs prefer frozen mysis shrimp instead. Also, mysis shrimp usually are not as messy as brine shrimp. But, I guess it depends on what is available where you live. Again, I wouldn't recommend using either as a staple diet though. Variety is important. Good luck. - frogbreeder

josh7

Okay then how do you get these frogs to eat off of plates though also I will get HBH bites on Thursday.I also will still feed them the worms and shrimp to for the variety.

Lucy

Teach them manners

Sorry, joking.

If you put their food on a plate (no paint or glaze) they should eventually find it.
However, since there are fish in the tank this may not work for you.
The fish will surely find it before the frogs do.

josh7

Okay I can just continue hand feeding them to and also how would you recommend hand feeding pellets to them

frogbreeder

I agree - if you really must keep ADFs with fish, you will likely need to hand-feed the frogs to ensure they get enough to eat. Chances are you will still end up with fat fish and skinny frogs. For a whole bunch of different reasons, single-species aquariums work best for ADFs. Perhaps, you could get them their own aquarium. They'd really like that. As for teaching them any manners, ha, best of luck! - frogbreeder

Attachments

• F_14 FEEDING METHOD 06 Feeding and Nutrition.jpg
    F_14 FEEDING METHOD 06 Feeding and Nutrition.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 127

josh7

It's fat right now I am hand feeding it and it has a fat round belly still but can you hand feed HBH pellets. Also for getting them a new tank that is not gonna happen for a while.

frogbreeder

You could try holding the pellet slightly in front of the frog's mouth and a little off to one side, about an inch above the frog's head, and releasing it. Hopefully, the frog will lunge at it, as it falls past its mouth. Or you could just wait for the frog to lunge and try to release the pellet at precisely the right time, lol. Admittedly, hand-feeding takes a bit of practice, because of the way these frogs eat. Eventually, the frogs will figure it out. Oh well, you can always try to get them their own tank eventually. As long as you make sure they are getting enough to eat, they should be just fine. - frogbreeder

josh7

Well the pellets are hard to do tried today and the earthworms were the only thing they would take but what type of live foods are best do you think frogbreeder to feed them for a variety besides the shrimp and worm.

frogbreeder

Well, they really love whiteworms, if you can find someplace to buy a starter culture. Good thing about whiteworms is that you don't need to remove the fecal material first and they are small enough that you don't need to cut them into pieces. They are much less gross than earthworms. Live blackworms are also good, but they require a small aquarium for the culture. I sometimes collect live mosquito larvae (a.k.a. glassworms) from the edges of my garden pond, but these pose certain risks. They can introduce unwanted organisms into the aquarium environment. Cultured whiteworms and blackworms are safer. Commercially prepared frozen foods such as mysis shrimp and HikarI bloodworms from the pet store are most convenient. I guess it depends on what you can get where you live. - frogbreeder

josh7

Okay thanks for all the help

One more question can I feed ADFs raw fish meat like wild trout meat.

sirdarksol

ADFs are not fish hunters. Fish probably isn't the best food source.

To put this very simply:
You generally want your pets' diets to be as close to what they would eat in the wild. In the case of ADFs, this is the larvae of a number of different insect species, as well as aquatic worms and perhaps micro shrimp species.

Unless you have an understanding of the different kinds of proteins and nutrients in various meats and how they compare to your pets' ideal diets, it is best not to stray from this.

Butterfly

One more question can I feed ADFs raw fish meat like wild trout meat.

Since they are very young I would think the variety advised would be good.

Many times our aquatic friends don't recognize foods we give them as food for a few feedings. Trying too many different varities at once may be confusing and could lead to a dirty tank if uneaten food isn't cleaned up in a timely manner.

So trying the pellets and one other food until they are eating them well before adding something else would probably work best.

I'm not sure about the raw fish.

Carol

josh7

Okay was just wondering for future refrence right now I am still trying to get them to accept the pellets right now they will only take worm pieces.

jerilovesfrogs

I had to not feed mine for afew days...so they would be pretty hungry, and more likely to eat the pellets...and it worked. I can hand feed them pellets...but it dud take practice on the frogs part, as well as mine.

but now that they are used to pellets, they do hunt for them as well

-j

josh7

I just tried that didn't feed them yesterday and at about 4 today fed them the pellets and they accepted them so how does this sound for a final diet 1-2 days earthworms 3 days the pellets and 1-2 days whole frozen brine shrimp.

soltarianknight

That sounds pretty good

e_watson09

Alright so I bought 4 ADFs about a week ago.

Until yesterday none of them would eat. Yesterday I come to find one with its leg caught in the filter. Saved him and knew he wasn't going to make it. Found him dead this morning. Tested my water everything was perfect.

Last night I had also tried to feed them again. I got one of them to eat 2-3 NLS pellets and one to eat a single pellet the other didn't budge even when food landed on his head.

I'm really struggling with getting them to eat. I've tired frozen blood worms, frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, and the NLS pellets.

I have a turkey baster so I would make sure the food was around them every time but they never seem interested.

Oh and they were all pretty skinny when I brought them home.

Any suggestions? I am dirtying up my tank pretty bad and I was doing 50% weekly water changes before and I've started doing daily or every other day 50% changes due to the extra food.

I keep fish

They don't have good vision so you have to put it right in front of them.Otherwise I'm not the person to ask.

amber0107

I've been having some trouble with mine as well. I turn off the filter during feeding time to get the food to sink down onto his little plate. He does well with frozen bloodworms. Sometimes he'll eat the pellets and frozen brineshrimp, but that's hit or miss...literally. I've seen some use tongs to put the food right in front of their little faces until they reach out and get it, but I can't get mine to come out of hiding when I'm near his tank.

Shine

Seriously, if they are that hard to feed, how do they even survive in the wild??

Akari_32

Mine actively hunt when I drop their pellets in. They squabble over food, too. Have you tried soaking their food in garlic water? Gets mine going

e_watson09

I do have galic I could use and try that but these guys just are causing me to get grey hair.

snapper

With mine I put bloodworms in a syringe so they're halfway sticking out, and then wave them in front of the frog's face until he goes for it. Then squirt the rest out and they can usually find them.

Akari_32

Have you tried *not* catering to them? Just dropping the food in and letting them figure it out themselves? That's what I do, and mine are fat-fat-fat! They even have a betta and shrimp to compete with!

amber0107

Akari, yours have a sand substrate, right? I wonder if that helps because mine can't seem to find his tiny pellets if they end up on the gravel.

Akari_32

Yeah, I have black sand. Even when I had black gravel, though, they still did pretty good.

amber0107

I have no idea why mine seems unable to find his food. Just now I was cleaning it's tank and the silly frog came and jumped in his dish ready for his food. If I could have scolded the little thing I would have since I just siphoned up bloodworms he didn't eat!

Akari_32

Doesn't it figure

Lucy

Sometimes it takes a while for them to ge used to feeding time.
Are there fish in the tank? Any chance they are being intimidated?

If they were skinny when you get them they could have been already ill.
Sadly, many of them are before we get them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mmercier
Replies
Views
FishMommer
Replies
Views
Honem
Replies
Views