African Dwarf Frog Food

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These are what I feed:

Frozen bloodworm thawed and rinsed gently in a net.

Freeze dried earthworms are available. They like them chopped small enough to swallow, soaked in warm water and the air squeezed out so they sink. Mine go crazy for these.

They will also eat the small sizes of freeze dried krill or Gammarus shrimp soaked in hot water and the air squeezed out so they sink.
Some shrimp are too big for them or have a sharp needle-like rostrum that could cause problems to you or the frogs so watch out! But not the krill or gammarus.

Live daphnia, bloodworm and mosquito larvae are great (because the frogs seem to love hunting them) but are more numerous in summer (I raise mine in a water butt, they came on-stream a week ago).

Akeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feed a variety of frozen aquatic invertebrates to them. Frozen Daphnia, frozen Tubifex Worms, frozen and chopped Krill, and a mix of frozen Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp. You can get these at most pet stores. I thaw the frozen food in a little ziplock baggie of lukewarm dechlorinated water before feeding, and target feed for each frog with a turkey baster from the baggie. A couple times a week they also get Reptomin Sinking Frog Granules to make sure they get all their vitamins and minerals, and they really go for that particular dried food.

Logan Bright

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Akeath said:
I feed a variety of frozen aquatic invertebrates to them. Frozen Daphnia, frozen Tubifex Worms, frozen and chopped Krill, and a mix of frozen Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp. You can get these at most pet stores. I thaw the frozen food in a little ziplock baggie of lukewarm dechlorinated water before feeding, and target feed for each frog with a turkey baster from the baggie. A couple times a week they also get Reptomin Sinking Frog Granules to make sure they get all their vitamins and minerals, and they really go for that particular dried food.
Uh... wow. I mainly feed my freeze dried Tubifex Worms and Frog Pellets...

Akeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol, I do get a bit obsessive about feeding a variety of food to my animals. In this case it isn't nearly as complicated in practice as it sounds, though. It is mostly a matter of popping out different little frozen cubes on different days of the week, the whole process is quick and easy. The frogs are super cute when I feed with the turkey baster. They stand up on their hind flippers with their mouths up facing the turkey baster and gobble like little pigs.

Logan Bright

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Akeath said:
lol, I do get a bit obsessive about feeding a variety of food to my animals. In this case it isn't nearly as complicated in practice as it sounds, though. It is mostly a matter of popping out different little frozen cubes on different days of the week, the whole process is quick and easy. The frogs are super cute when I feed with the turkey baster. They stand up on their hind flippers with their mouths up facing the turkey baster and gobble like little pigs.
They are adorable but mischevious. I've had problems with them picking on and eating my tetras in the past.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom