5 Gallon Tank African Dwarf Frog Feeding Issue

Froglover

I’ve had my two ADFs in my 5.5 gal tank for a little over a week. I feed them a hearty meal every other day which includes frog/tadpole pellets, brine shrimp, and occasional bloodworms as treats. Sometimes I feed them with tongs, but other times I like to drop the food in two feeding bowls on opposite sides of the tank so they can have the experience of hunting for their food themselves. I got a second food bowl because I noticed that when these two would try to eat at the same time in the same area, they would end up accidentally biting each other (video attached). Now that there are two bowls, for the majority of their feeding they stay farther away. However, they usually end up both going after the very last pellet at the same time, and they end up accidentally biting each other again. I just want to know if there’s anything else I can do to solve this issue, or if I should be concerned about this at all. I’ve closely observed both frogs, and they have yet to have any visible injuries or difficulties swimming. Their behaviors are both completely normal after these bites. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Video Link: IMG_6169.mov

Lucy

Mine would do that at times. Usually it's nothing to worry about. Since they don't have teeth they rarely do harm.

Upvote 0

Froglover

Mine would do that at times. Usually it's nothing to worry about. Since they don't have teeth they rarely do harm.
Thanks for telling me this! I’m upgrading to a 10 gallon aquarium and will be adding two more frogs, so I wanted to learn more about this behavior before I get more

Upvote 0

Sokamix

I’ve had my two ADFs in my 5.5 gal tank for a little over a week. I feed them a hearty meal every other day which includes frog/tadpole pellets, brine shrimp, and occasional bloodworms as treats. Sometimes I feed them with tongs, but other times I like to drop the food in two feeding bowls on opposite sides of the tank so they can have the experience of hunting for their food themselves. I got a second food bowl because I noticed that when these two would try to eat at the same time in the same area, they would end up accidentally biting each other (video attached). Now that there are two bowls, for the majority of their feeding they stay farther away. However, they usually end up both going after the very last pellet at the same time, and they end up accidentally biting each other again. I just want to know if there’s anything else I can do to solve this issue, or if I should be concerned about this at all. I’ve closely observed both frogs, and they have yet to have any visible injuries or difficulties swimming. Their behaviors are both completely normal after these bites. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Video Link: IMG_6169.mov
I wouldn’t worry about it that much since they can’t really harm each other but I really like feeding them separately. You don’t need to divide the tank or anything like that just feed one at a time with tongs. I like this cause they don’t fight, I know if they are eating or not and it’s just more clean. If you want to continue feeding them that way you do whatever you want just suggesting that

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mandy627
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357
Replies
Views