How long has the tank been running?
2-3 years
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
No
What is the water temperature?
75 degrees Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Just one African Dwarf Fish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every month
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Tetra aquasafe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? N/A
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
never tested for this type of thing, just very concerned

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Every night
How much do you feed your fish?
5 or so scoops of zooMed amphibian food
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
ZooMed amphibian food
Do you feed frozen?
No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
Occasionally bloodworms for diet supplements

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
4 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 year or so on the red legs, tonight for the bleeding under the eyes
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Bleeding under eyes and reddish extremities
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No change except for reddish extremities

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now

has had red legs for a while now, thought nothing of it, didn’t know about red leg, bled from under eyes tonight, concerned and not very in the know about this. 4 years old African Dwarf frog. Also lots of algae on tank. Here’s some photos of him for reference

Attachments

• 01D4F1C6-0BE4-408E-97C6-131A76EEBDA4.jpeg
    01D4F1C6-0BE4-408E-97C6-131A76EEBDA4.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 3D895FC7-9B61-4398-87D2-CB4AA350066E.jpeg
    3D895FC7-9B61-4398-87D2-CB4AA350066E.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 26

fishydaddy

I would definitely be testing your water, this is likely an issue that arose from poor water quality. At this point, I don't think your frog will come back from this. He likely has a septic bacterial infection/inflammation of the limbs. You can try doing a 50% water change asap and then dose with antibiotics and keep up with doing water changes after, but I honestly think it's too late if he's bleeding from the eyes. In the future, I would be doing water changes at least every other week and testing your water occasionally to be sure nothing is wrong.

ADFemergency

I would definitely be testing your water, this is likely an issue that arose from poor water quality. At this point, I don't think your frog will come back from this. He likely has a septic bacterial infection/inflammation of the limbs. You can try doing a 50% water change asap and then dose with antibiotics and keep up with doing water changes after, but I honestly think it's too late if he's bleeding from the eyes. In the future, I would be doing water changes at least every other week and testing your water occasionally to be sure nothing is wrong.
Thank you for responding, I’m really sad to hear that but I will try, he bled from under the eyes and often jumps near the top of his metal tank cover so I really hope that he got cut on that and isn’t seriously sick. Can you tell anything based off of the pictures I uploaded?
I might also point out that his legs/arms have always been quite red, at least based off of what I’ve observed.
I’d also like to add that his behavior has not changed at all, so I’m staying hopeful but worried. I’ll try to change the water today and hopefully find some antibiotics for him soon?

fishydaddy

You're so welcome!
I hope that it is a superficial injury as well, but based off of the description of the legs and everything else, It is likely hemorrhaging due to a bacterial infection.
Red legs are usually caused by bacteria, so it's probably just something he's had for a long time that hasn't become worse until now.
It's really hard to see anything in your photos due to the algae and lighting, sorry :( I know it's super hard to get clear photos of aquatic animals sometimes.
I would look into an antibiotic that is used for Aeromonas infections, as red legs are usually caused by this bacteria.

ADFemergency

You're so welcome!
I hope that it is a superficial injury as well, but based off of the description of the legs and everything else, It is likely hemorrhaging due to a bacterial infection.
Red legs are usually caused by bacteria, so it's probably just something he's had for a long time that hasn't become worse until now.
It's really hard to see anything in your photos due to the algae and lighting, sorry :( I know it's super hard to get clear photos of aquatic animals sometimes.
I would look into an antibiotic that is used for Aeromonas infections, as red legs are usually caused by this bacteria.
thank you so much! I’ll work on getting him some antibiotics but it looks like he’s not getting worse, which is good for now. I’m not sure if I can get him those soon enough, but do you have any recommendations on what type?
You're so welcome!
Another big update, just checked on him and his legs aren’t as red as before! I am still concerned about the bleeding last night but he is hanging out at the bottom and pretty active. Thanks for all the help and I’ll work on cleaning the water/testing it. Not fully in the clear yet but I am happier now.

ADFemergency

You're so welcome!
Hi again, sorry for the replies again, but I had a question or 2 about testing and cycling. I didn’t know anything about cycling up until right now, have never done that or cleaned the stuff at the bottom, I’ve never tested the water either. I want to make sure I eliminate all the risk factors, so do you have any recommendations on what to do?
Hi again, sorry for the replies again, but I had a question or 2 about testing and cycling. I didn’t know anything about cycling up until right now, have never done that or cleaned the stuff at the bottom, I’ve never tested the water either. I want to make sure I eliminate all the risk factors, so do you have any recommendations on what to do?
He seems good now and I read that healthy frogs can have red legs/arms and still be healthy, but his skin looks nice and green.
You're so welcome!
I also do want to ask, am I unintentionally torturing him? He’s my first pet I’ve ever had, I really care about him, but I worry if I’ve been mistreating him all this time. He’s been alive for 4 years and I’d hate to see him go.

fishydaddy

No worries! I love helping out :) and sorry for the delayed reply, I am mostly on here when it is slow at work.

For antibiotics, I am honestly not super sure what kind is the most effective for this bacteria, or if you're even dealing with this bacteria, which could drastically change the type of antibiotic you need to use. Here is an article that mentions some possible treatments: Amphibian Diseases: Bacterial And Viral Infections - Reptiles Magazine
They mention metronidazole as something that may work, which you can purchase as Seachem's metroplex in a powdered form.

I am very glad to hear that he seems to be doing a bit better too! That's great to hear. If he were on death's door, he would likely be quite lethargic so this is a great sign.

I would pick up an API test kit and start with testing your water. These are cheapest at petco/petsmart or amazon but it's always nice to support a local business if you can.
Your tank has been set up for so long that it is likely cycled, but you will probably see high nitrates and a low pH which can be helped with more frequent water changes. If the pH has gotten too low, that can cause your tank to "crash" and no longer be cycled, so if you're seeing any ammonia or nitrites and a low pH I would start with a 25% water change and dose bottled bacteria everyday with a 25% water change ever few days to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels under control. Keep in mind that nitrites are much more toxic at a lower pH with the opposite being true of ammonia, so the more neutral (close to 7) your pH, the better.

If you don't already have one, I would purchase a small gravel vacuum to help clean up any detritus that has fallen into the substrate and to aerate it slightly, which will keep pockets of hydrogen sulfide from forming.

One more note: this is something that I recently learned myself, but ADFs are recommended to be kept in groups. I haven't been able to find any actual studies or behavioral analysis on this, but to be safe I am planning on getting my froggie a pal when I can. If your lil guy is in the clear and not showing any signs of illness, you may want to look into getting him a friend or two :) Your guy is getting old though, their lifespan is typically 5 years.

In terms of you accidentally neglecting your animal, it's possible! I know I kept my animals extremely poorly when I first started keeping fish and I had no idea. I'm talking bettas in tiny vases in 64 degree water with water changes maybe once a month. So don't feel too guilty, you're making the effort to learn which is the best you can do :) The fact that he's lived almost his full life expectancy means you've been doing something right!

ADFemergency

Thank you for the detailed response! I don’t think that he’s very sick, but I will look into antibiotics. I never actually saw him bleed, but a family member did. I may look into getting a second one later, and I am considering getting him that test kit and a gravel vacuum so I can clean up his poop. Is he allowed to be in the tank during the vacuuming? He’s still swimming nicely so I’m really happy about that. Also good to hear that it’s cycled most likely.

fishydaddy

This all sounds very promising. Based on your initial description, I was very worried, but if he isn't bleeding from the eyes anymore and you didn't see it personally, I feel that it may not be as much of an issue. It sounds like he's hanging in there! He may just be super old. And you can keep him in there during a gravel vac, just be careful you don't suck him up! I always keep my animals in the tank during a cleaning, I think it's less stressful on them than being caught and removed. If you begin to accidentally suck up an animal, just pinch the tubing farther down to immediately stop suction.

ADFemergency

That’s a relief. Thanks for the advice on the gravel thing. Sometimes I catch him floating near the top, with just his nose out, but I think that’s normal “burbling” behavior. I’ll continue to watch him and update if necessary, thanks for all the help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Effieee
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies
Views