African dwarf frog care!

airia

So I've really been interested in getting a few African dwarf frogs, I have a 10 gallon tank. Pictures included will this work for them? I have 3 hides, 3 silk plants. Also how many can comfortably fit in a 10 gallon? I also have a nerite snail in there. I'm just doing research before hand and such.

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_203718636.jpg
    IMG_20210904_203718636.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 14

MyFishAddiction

I have heard 3-4. Might want to look into getting guppy grass or something like that tho.

Noroomforshoe

I have read 5 in a ten gallon works. you want close to 5 gallons per frog. But you also want at least 3 frogs.

airia

So I have the option to use a 20 gallon for the African dwarf frogs that I want. Should I? I know they need air in order to breath so would a 20 gallon be to tall? Also what type of filter should I get for them a sponge, hob? Also also can you link some good hides of Amazon? I have enough plants I just need hides.

Ouse

How tall is the 20 gallon? If it’s taller than a foot, it’s too tall.

Sponge filters and HOBs produce minimal flow, so go for one of these. Just make sure it’s rated for at least twice the tank volume, as companies like to overestimate the efficiency of their filters.

airia

How tall is the 20 gallon? If it’s taller than a foot, it’s too tall.

Sponge filters and HOBs produce minimal flow, so go for one of these. Just make sure it’s rated for at least twice the tank volume, as companies like to overestimate the efficiency of their filters.
It's 12" tall
I have everything I already need for a 10 gallon but I want to make sure that would be enough room. I heard you can only get one frog per 5 gallons of water

Ouse

That height should be good.

These “per X gallons” rules don’t make sense. There are many factors playing part that mean these rules don’t always hold weight. You could probably fit up to six of these frogs in that space.

Also, what substrate does the tank have?

airia

That height should be good.

These “per X gallons” rules don’t make sense. There are many factors playing part that mean these rules don’t always hold weight. You could probably fit up to six of these frogs in that space.

Also, what substrate does the tank have?
Yeah the most common number is 5 in a 10 gallon but right now I have gravel, which I've read they can swallow but I'm not a fan of sand. So I'm not sure what I can use.

Ouse

Why not a fan of sand?

airia

Why not a fan of sand?
Just the horror stories I've read about it on here. There's not to many more options so I may have to use it but I've just read it's really hard to clean when doing water changes but it looks really nice

Ouse

Sand doesn’t need to be cleaned. I never clean my sand and there’s no issues with it.

Was the “20 gallon” a typo?

airia

Sand doesn’t need to be cleaned. I never clean my sand and there’s no issues with it.

Was the “20 gallon” a typo?
You don't use a gravel vac for your sand? I'm not sure how you get the feces and such out. I'll be using a sponge filter so I don't think thatll help

Ouse

You don’t need to get the poo out. Even my canister filters don’t catch most of the poo. It’ll disappear on it’s own; it won’t overrun the surface of the sand.

If you’re unable to replace the gravel with sand, it’s best not to get frogs. Not only do you run the risk of the frogs choking on the gravel, but it’s also quite sharp and uncomfortable for them, considering they’ll be spending a lot of their time standing on it.

airia

You don’t need to get the poo out. Even my canister filters don’t catch most of the poo. It’ll disappear on it’s own; it won’t overrun the surface of the sand.

If you’re unable to replace the gravel with sand, it’s best not to get frogs. Not only do you run the risk of the frogs choking on the gravel, but it’s also quite sharp and uncomfortable for them, considering they’ll be spending a lot of their time standing on it.
I'm able to do the switch. Just looking into some different hides and getting the ammonia for the cycle. I won't be getting them for a few weeks unt the tank is properly cycled but doing all the research and getting supplies now

Ouse

You could simply cap the gravel with sand and it should be fine. This means no removing gravel, as I know it can be annoying to switch out substrate.

In terms of hides, I like to just use a hollow piece of driftwood. The twigs shape of spiderwood is also concealing.

airia

You could simply cap the gravel with sand and it should be fine. This means no removing gravel, as I know it can be annoying to switch out substrate.

In terms of hides, I like to just use a hollow piece of driftwood. The twigs shape of spiderwood is also concealing.
Okay thanks! Do you have any links to where I could purchase them? All I have is the artificial hides that take up alot of space. But I'm trying to find them on Amazon

Ouse

Unfortunately not, sorry. All the wood I’ve purchased for my tanks has been in person.

airia

It's a species only tank aside from my nerite snail, I've heard so many conflicting reports on how many I can put in a 10 gallon, will 4 be able to live comfortably in there? Online I can only get an order of 5 so I'm going to have to go to Petco once my tank is cycled

Lucy

Hi airia, Yes, four african dwarf frogs woud do well in a 10 gallon. Five would be ok too if you wanted to order on line.

Be sure to have fun hiding ( a cave, or driftwood ) places and plants to them to perch on.

airia

Hi airia, Yes, four african dwarf frogs woud do well in a 10 gallon. Five would be ok too if you wanted to order on line.

Be sure to have fun hiding ( a cave, or driftwood ) places and plants to them to perch on.
My mom has an extra aquarium she said I can use, but it's 15" tall. I read they should be 12" tall since they go to the surface to breathe, will that tank be to tall? I can always not fill it up completely full and leave space

Lucy

People have kept they in taller tanks without issues..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
scorpioweeb
Replies
Views
Sokamix
  • Question
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies