African dwarf frog, can males live alone or should I get another male? Question 

Duckerson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I need advice, should I have one frog or two? Right now I have one male african dwarf frog named Speckles. He lives in a 10 gallon tank with a male betta and one netrite snail. When I first got him he was super skittish and stayed in the corner, but now he has more hiding spots and I doesnt freak out.
He seems happy and healthy, but I heard they get lonely, and I wonder if he would feel more confident with another frog.
My betta gets along great with him and I've never had the slightest problem, so I dont think he will mind two frog friends (I dont have difficulty getting the frog food past the betta, but maybe if I had two it would be a little more difficult to feed them the right amount)
Do you think another african dwarf frog is a good idea? I only have a 1 gallon tank besides my main one, but I still think speckles is happy in his big tank with hiding spots. He rules the tank at night when the betta goes to sleep.
Will he fit? Will it help? Should they have their own tank? I'll take any imput.
I would get a male only, I dont want babies.
20191209_180111.jpg
20191112_080316~2.jpg

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I believe it would be ok if you got another frog.

Sien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Duckerson said:
I need advice, should I have one frog or two? Right now I have one male african dwarf frog named Speckles. He lives in a 10 gallon tank with a male betta and one netrite snail. When I first got him he was super skittish and stayed in the corner, but now he has more hiding spots and I doesnt freak out.
He seems happy and healthy, but I heard they get lonely, and I wonder if he would feel more confident with another frog.
My betta gets along great with him and I've never had the slightest problem, so I dont think he will mind two frog friends (I dont have difficulty getting the frog food past the betta, but maybe if I had two it would be a little more difficult to feed them the right amount)
Do you think another african dwarf frog is a good idea? I only have a 1 gallon tank besides my main one, but I still think speckles is happy in his big tank with hiding spots. He rules the tank at night when the betta goes to sleep.
Will he fit? Will it help? Should they have their own tank? I'll take any imput.
I would get a male only, I dont want babies.
20191209_180111.jpg
20191112_080316~2.jpg
Hey! You have a super cute frog :)! African dwarf frogs definitely do better in groups. A 10 gallon is pretty tight for a group however, they are quite active and very susceptible to any changes in water/even the slightest of poor water quality. You could add one more frog but I would then do more water changes. I have heard that they produce a lot of waste and it is critical to be on top of that. While bettas are more hardy, the frogs are not. You could also make your 10 gallon a frog only tank and do like 3-4 of them (with 2 30% water changes a week). And then get your betta a 5 gallon to himself. Even tho your betta is fine with one frog he might freak out with another, they are kind of unpredictable. Hope this helped and best of luck!

Duckerson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sien said:
Hey! You have a super cute frog :)! African dwarf frogs definitely do better in groups. A 10 gallon is pretty tight for a group however, they are quite active and very susceptible to any changes in water/even the slightest of poor water quality. You could add one more frog but I would then do more water changes. I have heard that they produce a lot of waste and it is critical to be on top of that. While bettas are more hardy, the frogs are not. You could also make your 10 gallon a frog only tank and do like 3-4 of them (with 2 30% water changes a week). And then get your betta a 5 gallon to himself. Even tho your betta is fine with one frog he might freak out with another, they are kind of unpredictable. Hope this helped and best of luck!
That's a good idea, I've wanted to move my betta into a smaller tank so I could put him on the coffee table in my living room (he is always so excited/entertained when I'm in the room and I spend so much time in front of a tank theres a chair sitting awkwardly in front of it lol).
But I worry about flow from the filter in smaller tanks, and I enjoy seeing him with 10 gallons of room. I really want him to be happy. My gut tells me I want him to stay in his 10 gal.
Do you think 5 gal is too small for 2 frogs?

Sien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Duckerson said:
That's a good idea, I've wanted to move my betta into a smaller tank so I could put him on the coffee table in my living room (he is always so excited/entertained when I'm in the room and I spend so much time in front of a tank theres a chair sitting awkwardly in front of it lol).
But I worry about flow from the filter in smaller tanks, and I enjoy seeing him with 10 gallons of room. I really want him to be happy. My gut tells me I want him to stay in his 10 gal.
Do you think 5 gal is too small for 2 frogs?
Yes I think 5 gallon is far too small for even 1 frog. I don’t think a 5 gallon will affect your betta too much! I have all mine in 5 gallon and they love it. In fact, your betta might enjoy being in a room where he can interact with more people and may enjoy having a tank to himself. Even tho he gets along fine with the frog, he might be less stressed and happier alone. I have the 5.5 gallon set up from petsmart for one of mine and it’s awesome! The filter flow can be adjusted. I have mine on the lowest flow setting and my guy is just fine. There are also other ways to tweak the flow through DIY stuff. I can send pics of the tank if you want to see.

Duckerson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sien said:
Yes I think 5 gallon is far too small for even 1 frog. I don’t think a 5 gallon will affect your betta too much! I have all mine in 5 gallon and they love it. In fact, your betta might enjoy being in a room where he can interact with more people and may enjoy having a tank to himself. Even tho he gets along fine with the frog, he might be less stressed and happier alone. I have the 5.5 gallon set up from petsmart for one of mine and it’s awesome! The filter flow can be adjusted. I have mine on the lowest flow setting and my guy is just fine. There are also other ways to tweak the flow through DIY stuff. I can send pics of the tank if you want to see.
I'd love to see! Especially the filter. I'm thinking I'm going to start cycling a 5 gal planted tank for my betta once I have the $$$

Sien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is the link to the tank if you do like it, it says 5 gallon but the box and description at the bottom both say 5.5 gallon.
Ignore the childish princess castle lol! This is my most aggressive betta and he is all black, haven't found a different decoration I love and it's kinda my way of getting back at his rudeness ;)
IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG

You can see on the filter the circular knob to the bottom right. It has an open and close flow. I have mine turned all the way to closed and it lessened the flow greatly. Unless my betta goes directly into the current closest to the filter, he is totally fine. I also have the plants floating at the top of the tank to lessen the flow. If this is still too much flow for you, you can attack a soft sponge to the outflow of the filter to lessen it even more. My guy is always hanging out at the top and swimming around, so I don't think he is too bothered lol. Take a look at some mom and pop/ family owned fish stores near you. If any of them sell plants they will be much more affordable and they are usually more willing to hand out discounts/free plants if you ask nicely. One of my shops gave me a bunch of free duckweed and all I did was show some slight interest in it lol.

Duckerson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sien said:
This is the link to the tank if you do like it, it says 5 gallon but the box and description at the bottom both say 5.5 gallon. Top Fin® Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit | fish Starter Kits
Ignore the childish princess castle lol! This is my most aggressive betta and he is all black, haven't found a different decoration I love and it's kinda my way of getting back at his rudeness ;)
IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG

You can see on the filter the circular knob to the bottom right. It has an open and close flow. I have mine turned all the way to closed and it lessened the flow greatly. Unless my betta goes directly into the current closest to the filter, he is totally fine. I also have the plants floating at the top of the tank to lessen the flow. If this is still too much flow for you, you can attack a soft sponge to the outflow of the filter to lessen it even more. My guy is always hanging out at the top and swimming around, so I don't think he is too bothered lol. Take a look at some mom and pop/ family owned fish stores near you. If any of them sell plants they will be much more affordable and they are usually more willing to hand out discounts/free plants if you ask nicely. One of my shops gave me a bunch of free duckweed and all I did was show some slight interest in it lol.
Your tank looks great! I can see now that my betta will probably be just as happy in a 5 gal, and it would be easier for me to stock a 5 gal full of plants. I'll probably be ordering everything online since I'm in the middle of nowhere and the closest store is a petsmart 50 mins away that is SO filthy I dont want to support it.
(Also I love how you gave your grumpy betta some irony)
I'm going to do the best I can on my college student budget, I found the 10 gal for free the day after I got my betta.

Sien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Duckerson said:
Your tank looks great! I can see now that my betta will probably be just as happy in a 5 gal, and it would be easier for me to stock a 5 gal full of plants. I'll probably be ordering everything online since I'm in the middle of nowhere and the closest store is a petsmart 50 mins away that is SO filthy I dont want to support it.
(Also I love how you gave your grumpy betta some irony)
I'm going to do the best I can on my college student budget, I found the 10 gal for free the day after I got my betta.
Thanks :)! Yes I am on a college student budget too, relatable lol. I got this tank from PetSmart for 16$ after tax (inlcludes the filter, filter cartridge, tank, thermometer, lights!). It is discounted after the 'treats' rewards. Just sign up with your phone number. Also check out chewy.com for heaters and other things, they have good prices too. An online plant/animal sites like Josh's frogs is good. They have a ton of stuff and great shipping. I believe some pet influencers have discount codes, Tyler Ruggie has one for 10-15% off. If you have a PetSmart near you I would go there for the tank and other decor/gravel/heater. They will price match off amazon prime, chewy, petco, etc. I got a 16$ betta log down to 3.99$ from matching it off chewy. My PetSmart is really great about honoring the price matches. These are just some things i have done to make this hobby more affordable with my budget!

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A female would be more fun for your frog, but a male works too. They do enjoy other frogs and don't produce much waste, so I think you could get a couple more in that size tank. Don't worry about raising babies, the eggs will get eaten.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom