African dwarf frog babies aggressive?! Second tank?

froggymommy

Reaction score
I've found myself with an abundance of frogs. And they do not like each other.

I had a pair of ADFs living together, total besties, Peter and Spotty. One day last week Peter was just super bloated-- I separated him because I assumed it was dropsy and didn't want Spotty to catch anything if it was contagious.
1594331563467.png

(Peter in his quarantine tank)

So Spotty was all alone. I felt bad for him. I have a second 10 gal tank with just a betta so I figured I would get him a couple friends and move them all in there. That it was only a matter of time before Peter passed from the dropsy.
Well the aquarium store I frequent only had tiiiiiiiny tiny baby ADFs. I got 3, after reading a 10 gallon would be fine with that amount.
I didn't realize until I got home that they were 1/4 of his size, and that the eco-complete substrate in the 10 gal wasn't going to be a safe size for them.
So, I put them into Spotty's current 5 gallon tank.

So now I have 3 tiny baby frogs and Spotty, an adult. The baby frogs are VERY aggressive to each other, especially when it's food time. Spotty completely ignores all of them. My second day having them, I noticed one was missing a hand. I don't know whether that happened before or after I got them, but I suspect it happened from a fight.
The other two fight a lot, and "no-hand" frog just floats on his own.
1594331548547.png

(Baby missing hand)

Do I need to get ANOTHER tank to put these little ones in, and separate them in some way? Who do I separate? What if I separate the two aggressive babies, and one of them just picks on "no-hand" baby?

Putting 4 ADFs in a 10 gallon was the plan.... not this. To top it off, Peter is still hanging in there with his dropsy and hasn't died yet. He's in a quarantine tank at my girlfriend's house for "hospice." He has not improved.

1594331625735.png

(Size comparison of Spotty to one of the new babies)

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theyre not really aggressive as much as mostly blind and use their sense of smell. Unfortunately other frogs smell like food too, and at such a small age, they are a bit more fragile than their larger counterparts. Eventually the same behavior helps with shedding and such. Separating them until they are closer to half his size should fix any limb issues. And thankfully it's just a flesh wound that will grow back. Also the adult might accidently eat one still.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its normal for them to grab each other when excited at feeding time. They don't bite each other's body parts off!

They do use their eyesight to spot prey movement and strike at prey. Mine are eating Daphnia and Mosquito larvae at the moment and they use their eyesight to spot them, crawl in range and grab them with a rapid and violent forward movement.

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do get excited at mealtime and can steal worms out of the others mouths. When neither one will let go it can get wild, but having no teeth it's doubtful that the hand was bit off.

New Threads