African Clawed Frogs

1. S

Sofievinson7787 New Member Member

hello! i just bought 2 clawed frogs. one is pretty big and the other one is a baby. they are in a 10 gal very happy with plenty room to swim. The big one keeps messing with the baby and eating all the food before the baby gets any. he also nibbles on the baby and i have to tap the glass to break them up. help!

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Ten gallons is WAAAAAY too small for African clawed frogs. They get like the size of a softball.
    African DWARF frogs can be in a 10g, but not the African CLAWED frogs.

You can try hand feeding the little one. But it sounds like the bigger one might end up killing him anyway. Especially due to the small tank size. You need a much larger tank if you want to keep African clawed frogs.

3. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

I have my adf in a 20 gallon and it seems they even need more space then the 20. I'm sure for now a 10 will work, but you should think about upgrading or at the very least only keeping one in the 10 gallon. Just a thought. Also, I have to target feed my adf because they can't c well and other fish and inverts steal his food, it can be a pain but I love my frog and want him to live a long happy life. Best of luck.

4. OP
    OP
    S

do all of them get the size of a golf all?!!!!??!?? oh geez what did i get myself into

5. bizaliz3

No not golf ball, even bigger....softball. Which is even bigger than a baseball!
    Baseball sized might be a bit more accurate on average. (assuming they are fed properly and kept in appropriate tank size) Sadly they will not do well in a 10g. And based on what you describe, the little one might not last much longer at all. :-(

I'd suggest you rehome them. Bring them back to the store. If you like frogs and 10g is the best you can do, try and find some African dwarf frogs. They stay very small and two would be fine in a 10g :)

These are not ADFs. They are much much MUUUCH larger than ADFs.

6. OP
    OP
    S

i’ll get my baby out of there asap. i had a clawedfrog a little while ago and he grew a little bigger then a gold ball. he was in a 3 gal and did fine. i have done so so much research and everyone said 10 gal per frog. maybe it’s different frogs. i don’t think all of them get to be as big as a softball just some.

i know i’ve had one before who only grew the size of a golf ball and lived in a 3 gal and was the happiest thing ever.

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

@LilBlub has ACF, maybe she can be of assistance.

8. Ms rose

Yeah i was just saying adf even need larger tanks as mine is needing more space, so i can only imagine aa frog much larger in a tank half the size of mine. No offence to op, i been thete where my tank wasnt suitable for the pet i kept.

9. bizaliz3

Probably only got as big as a golfball due to the tank being extremely small. He was likely stunted. And lifespan likely shortened :-(

OH! I see. I was just making sure!! Its easy to overlook the middle word "clawed" and just thnk African dwarf frog. In fact, I was hoping that the OP may have had it wrong. LOL (no offense OP)

10. Ms rose

Yes i agree with @bizaliz3 , this is not to offend you at all op, but stunted growth is a very real thing in all aquatic life. Most of us have made the mistake of cramming them into a tank not suited for their full grown self. Its an issue thats easily fixed, if you cant afford more tanks then you can use a plastic tub, i have used them as qt for my ill fish in the past, just a thought. But it is ultimatly up to you (op) to either take the advice or continue on as you are. Either way i would seperate the baby just to give it better odds.

11. bizaliz3

I did some reading and discovered that the males do stay much smaller than the females (I had a female years ago but had to rehome her)....so maybe it was a boy you had in the 3 gallon. Either way, did it live 10+ years? Because they are supposedly able to live 10-20 years. If it only lasted a couple years, then the argument that it was perfectly fine doesn't apply :-(

During my reading it seems that most websites feel that 10g is the minimum for ONE African clawed frog. Maybe for a male. but females can get like 6 inches. I don't think a 6 inch frog should be in a 10g. But maybe that's just me. No one would be ok with a 6 inch fish in a 10g. But I suppose frogs are different.

Based on the size of the female I had years ago....I just can't imagine them being kept in such a small tank

12. Ms rose

Thats interesting to know. Keep in mind op, larger tanks are easier to maintain also. So it may benifit both you and the frogs to go larger. But if this is not an option then just take the wee baby out for now and keep up on water changes. Best of luck. I love the aquatic frogs, they have so much personality.

13. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I have five of these, they’re gigantic. They’re in a 40 gallon tank. Here’s my biggest female:
    17F03817-E79A-426A-9D45-B46558D7AC65.jpeg
    That being said, they will not become stunted the way fish are. I had mine in a 20 gallon for years and they all wound up huge. So if you need to temporarily keep them in a 10 gallon, they will be fine until you can get a bigger tank.

Also, if there is too much of a size difference the baby might get eaten. If not, then the biting is pretty normal. Mine have flung each other around! But they have no teeth and they’re fairly flexible and squishy, so they’ve never been hurt. If you’re worried he’s not getting enough food, hand-feeding would work. They’re very smart and easy to train, so you could teach him to swim up to your fingers.

If you do rehome the baby, make sure you get a companion for the bigger one. They’re very social frogs.

14. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Oh gawd, I just got the heebie jeebies

15. Ms rose

omg so they are like adf but much MUCH bigger? thats crazy huge. verry cool for sure

16. LilBlub

They’re essentially huge ADFs (with some minor differences, but the same general look). They’re very unique frogs, both in appearance and behavior. For example, when they’re kept with other ACFs (which they should be) they’ll make “stacks”!:
    6422A960-1808-4B35-85F4-C36CA8C4A3E6.jpeg

17. OP
    OP
    S

mine are babies right now. they have warmed up to each other and are doing fine. since they are babies i’m keeping them in the 10 gal for now, but when they grow in a few months i’ll get a 30 gal. they have a heater and plenty of room to swim with each other since they are small.

there are over 20 species of clawed frogs so depending on the specie of your frog, they will grow big. mine are Xenopus Laevis so they will get like the picture one of you sent. one they start growing like i said i will get a 30 gal.

the last frog i had was super healthy he was a western clawed frog (Xenopus Tropicalis) he lived to be 5 and 1/2 but i forgot to put the lid on one night and we’ll you know what happened.

also @LilBlub you can hold them when they’re older?

@LilBlub and was that a tutti fruiti clawed frog in the background? i was going to get one but people said they i next then with dyes so later on the get sick and dye, don’t last long.
    but how is yours doing??

do you keep males and females together in the same 40 gal?

18. LilBlub

I have one male and four females (the male is itty bitty compared to them!). They actually just had babies, so don’t keep them together unless you want to care for a whole lot of tadpoles someday.

Yes, you can pick them up, but they feel like raw egg. Very slimy and squishy! You shouldn’t hold them for too long, since they’re amphibians, but handling them for a few seconds now and then is fine.

The frog in the background is albino, she just looks kinda yellow under certain lighting. You definitely shouldn’t get “tutti fruiti” frogs. Here’s a better picture of her:
    AE96CA08-FA5B-4BA4-A683-1B7A79549191.jpeg
    And here’s all five of mine together (they like to cuddle):
    1A7BB44A-BFF9-4B60-B5D6-773EC9300740.jpeg

19. OP
    OP
    S

20. LilBlub

They’re so cute! I love it when they hold hands.

Looking at the pictures, there definitely isn’t too much of a size difference. I wouldn’t worry about Murphy getting hurt. They’re shockingly hardy animals.