African Clawed Frogs In A 55gal With Goldfish

1. RyleighJ Member Member

Hi, everyone! I have 2 ACFs that are currently being housed in a 20gal, and a Ryukin goldfish that's in a 10gal hospital tank (only temporary). I'd like to get a 55gal for my goldfish, so I can add several more and some dojo loaches, but my family is concerned about the water and electric bills with another large tank.

To help negate the costs, I wondered if it would be possible to put the ACFs with the goldfish because they have similar temperature requirements. I know it's a bad idea in smaller tanks, but would it be doable in a 55gal with 2 ACFs and at least 2 goldfish? (I have one right now but I'd like to get him a friend). I'd also like to add some dojo loaches, but I could live without them.

In summary:
    ACFs with goldfish in a 55?

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The ACF would probably get picked on by the goldfish

3. RyleighJ Member Member

Do you think it would be worth a shot, since I'd still have the 20 to put the frogs back in if it went badly? Or is it almost a guarantee that it won't work, and not worth the effort?

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would try it. The ACFs are so big that I doubt that that fish will pick on them. Are the ACFs full grown? If they aren't I would wait till they are.

Don't get the loaches, they ACFs will outcompete them for food. The animals you have already have a huge bioload.

5. RyleighJ Member Member

How many goldfish would you recommend? I'm thinking 3?

(I'm definitely going to try getting the 55gal regardless of whether or not I put the ACFs in there)

6. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

2 or 3 would be good. General rule for fancies is 20 gallons per fancy.

7. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

I have a 55g and it's a tank I wish I didn't get. It's not deep enough (assuming your getting the standard tank) to expand to any new fish later in the future. Get a 75g as that has good depth but same width as a 55g.

Plus you'll be able to house the gold fish better in a 75g than a 55g.