African Clawed Frogs And Live Plants

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RyleighJ, Apr 13, 2017.

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

I have a small ACF I'm currently keeping in a 10 gallon tank (I'm going to upgrade when not he gets bigger). His tankmates (a goldfish and a snail) are getting their own aquarium once it cycles, so he'll be alone in his tank.

Is there any benefit to keeping live plants with him? I know ACFs often kick up plants, and I'm fine with having to rebury them - but only if my frog gets something out of them. Do they enjoy having plants to swim around with, or would any plants just be for my own enjoyment?

2. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

They really don't care so long as they have hides and are properly fed. If you want them I'd reccomend putting them in a small bowl with gravel in it so they don't uproot them. Mine is kept in a bare bottom without plants, so I'm only going off of anecdotes and assumptions.

3. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

My girl has a lot of little plants which she likes to sit on and rest. She also does this on the log. Mine are uprooted often but I don't mind.

4. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

A Petco near here sells some of their plants in pots, so if I did go for a planted tank I think I'd buy some of those. The ones I have in his tank now are so flimsy and hardly rooted in the gravel that he kicks them all over the place.

I think I'm going to go with a tank that's mostly driftwood and rocks, with some decorations, and avoid any plants that I'll constantly have to replace

Oh, one more thought! Would floating plants be a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  5. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

It wouldn't hurt them. I'd also recommend using a different set of equipment for these guys if you have African dwarf frogs or any other amphibians since they're know carriers of chytrid fungus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice