African Cichlids

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does African cichlids like crickets, if so how many do I feed a week? Just want to give them a treat every now and then, and how do I feed them vegetables? I'm pretty new to these kind of fish

Cichlid101

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
matt 63 said:
Does African cichlids like crickets, if so how many do I feed a week? Just want to give them a treat every now and then, and how do I feed them vegetables? I'm pretty new to these kind of fish
Crickets with Africans are not a very good idea. They are high in protein and can lead to bloat. You want a more spirulina based diet. Vegtebales are a good idea, just get a veggie clip and attach them to the side of the tank.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cichlid101 said:
Crickets with Africans are not a very good idea. They are high in protein and can lead to bloat. You want a more spirulina based diet. Vegtebales are a good idea, just get a veggie clip and attach them to the side of the tank.
what should I give them and how should I prep it?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Blood worms are also high in protein, just stick to things like blanched cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, squash etc. Mine particularly love cauliflower.

Live/frozen foods are generally a no-go for Africans, unless they are one of the more carnivorous species like certain haps, but even then better safe than sorry.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Demeter said:
Blood worms are also high in protein, just stick to things like blanched cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, squash etc. Mine particularly love cauliflower.

Live/frozen foods are generally a no-go for Africans, unless they are one of the more carnivorous species like certain haps, but even then better safe than sorry.
Ok thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom