African Cichlids with a Convict?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Castiel*, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Has anybody on here tried this, I've already Google'd it and gotten fairly mixed reviews. My Africans are fairly territorial and but not too aggressive. I'm more worried about the ONE Convict I'm putting in hurting my Africans.

I'm stocked with approximately 25 Africans, and 2 BN Pleco. I am Over-filtered, and do 2x WC per week, pushing 3 if my parameters get out of line a little bit.

My temperature is always at 80F, PH is constant 8.2, ammo- 0, nitri-0, nitra- ~20ppm.

My LFS has these on sale for $1 per fish, and he likes doing deals if I buy more than three fish at once even if they aren't the same species!

:;hi2

2. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

The one convict you have already decided to put into your tank will cause you many issues with the " Africans " fish.
    To mix these fish is a recipe for disaster, and has nothing at all to do with water parameters, filters, temperature, or your water changes, or even the price.
    Ita all about compatability, and these fish are just plain not compatable IMO

3. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't. The Africans will probably kill the convict. And if they don't, the Africans constant movement combined with there probably not being any room in the tank for the convict to claim any territory, will stress the con to death in the long run. If you want a convict, get another tank. Mixing Africans and New World cichlids is not a good idea.

4. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFish Valued Member Member

On the other hand African cichlids have a a lower pH demand of 7.8 and no higher. And they need a lower temp. too.

I know this from personal experience.

Cheese is good but cichlids are cooler!

5. Greenman96

Greenman96 New Member Member

I have convicts with mine. They do fine. Dont even mess with them.

Riley

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice