African Cichlids Stocking for 65 gallon aquarium

ChandanUrs

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have 65 gallon newly cycled aquarium. I am planning to make embuna tank. This will be my first african cichlid aquarium.

I have a rocky aquascape with 35kg of holey rocks with plenty of places to hide(attached a photo to this post).

My water is of stable 8.2PH and I use tap water de-chlorinated with Prime.

I am planning to have
  • 5 Yellow labs
  • 5 Blue Johanni or Pseudotropheus demasoni
  • 5 Sea Angels
  • 2 plecos
I am planning to have another 5 to 10 cichlids(Since, overstocking reduces aggression). Please let me know if the above stocking is okay.

I am also open to new stocking suggestion which involves yellow labs and Johanni or demasoni

The local fish store has the following cichlids:
  • Banana Cichlid
  • Pseudotropheus demasoni
  • Blue Johanni
  • White marf
  • Yellow Marf
  • Powdered blue cichlid
  • Golden Auratus Cichlid
  • Yellow, Red and Blue DUBOISI
  • Blue SAULOSI
  • Red Zebra
  • Venustus Cichlid

Attachments

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice tank. Not really enough room for Sea Angels aka Mono's or Venustus. My picks would be:
6 x Yellow Labs - 2 x M, 4 x F
6 x Demasoni - 2 x M, 4 x F
8 x Duboisi - 2 x M, 6 x F

Duboisi & Demasoni are very expensive in my area. If those don't fit into your budget, go with the Red Zebra & Saulosi. 2 x M, 4 x F ratio.

ChandanUrs

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, A201

Apparently my wife bought 5 yellow labs and 5 Five-bar cichlid aka Neolamprologus tretocephalus even after me instructing her to buy only yellow labs.

Now I have:
5 x Yellow labs
5 x Neolamprologus tretocephalus

Can yellow labs and Neolamprologus tretocephalus be good tank mates? If yes, Can i still add:
5 x Demasoni
5 x Duboisi

As I live in India, The LFS guy don't have proper knowledge on sex of the fish. I am yet to find the sex of all the fish I have.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never kept any of the Neolamprologis species, but come across them often at my local fish store. The Neolamprologis & Duboisi are Lake Tanganyika Cichlids & probably can be kept together. My guess is Yellow Labs could coexist as well.
The Five Bar is a very nice looking Cichlid. I can understand why your wife surprised you with them. No telling what fish my wife would return with if shopping alone at our LFS. It would be flashy & expensive. Lol.

ChandanUrs

Reaction score
The five bars seem very aggressive towards same species. They tend to chase each other and have a stand-off with their gill spread wide once in a while. Will this aggression reduce with time after the pecking order is established?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The aggression problem will likely stabilize, but a lot depends on the male female ratio.
You might try adding a few small rock piles around the bottom of the primary rock formation. This will allow for more retreats & less physical damage due to aggression.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom