African cichlids in pond

Mindelo

hello all
can african cichlids be kept in outdoor ponds?
i'm having hard time finding about the temperature range (it varies from source to source), so maybe someone here have done this and can give some opinion

note: on youtube i found about kamp kenan cichlid pond but it did not mention about temperatures

carsonsgjs

I guess if you were able to give them a decent temperature year round and hard enough water they would be ok. I cant imagine them doing well in colder winter months where the temperature drops.

Kenan is based in florida so probably has high enough temperatures year round to make it work it seems.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

Look up surface and mid/deep water temps for the lakes..... Seems to me they are warm year round. Unless you can achieve similar conditions year round then it won't work unless your willing to heat the pond in winter.

Upvote 0

Mindelo

thanks carsonsgjs and Spudsssy
carsonsgjs what do you mean by "decent temperature" and "has high enough temperatures"?
because is about the proper temperature i'm having trouble to find out.
Spudsssy there are no lakes around here.

note: i forgot to mention, i live in Cape Verde (a tropical country) where temperatures goes from around 22ºC to 28ºC (in some winter nights it might drop to 18ºC)

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

thanks carsonsgjs and Spudsssy
carsonsgjs what do you mean by "decent temperature" and "has high enough temperatures"?
because is about the proper temperature i'm having trouble to find out.
Spudsssy there are no lakes around here.

note: i forgot to mention, i live in Cape Verde (a tropical country) where temperatures goes from around 22ºC to 28ºC (in some winter nights it might drop to 18ºC)
Im thinking no less than 24c. Lake malawi, for example, is 22c in the deepest parts of the lake. Higher up its 24 plus. I think spudsssy was referring to the african lakes rather than your local lakes in his post.

cape verde - nice. Had a holiday there about 10 years ago.

Upvote 0

Natalie666

Im thinking no less than 24c. Lake malawi, for example, is 22c in the deepest parts of the lake. Higher up its 24 plus. I think spudsssy was referring to the african lakes rather than your local lakes in his post.

cape verde - nice. Had a holiday there about 10 years ago.
If you can pull it off, I think it would be an awesome pond idea.

Upvote 0

A201

A good temperature range for African Cichlids is 72 - 82 degrees. One or two degrees plus or minus probably wouldn't hurt.

Upvote 0

Mindelo

If you can pull it off, I think it would be an awesome pond idea.
i have been dreaming about this, and now i will finally have the space for it
but i need to keep the research, because if carsonsgjs is correct and they can't go less than 24ºC than i will not try it.

I think spudsssy was referring to the african lakes rather than your local lakes
:D :D :D :D thanks for the hint ;)
A good temperature range for African Cichlids is 72 - 82 degrees. One or two degrees plus or minus probably wouldn't hurt.
thanks
i guess i will try it (i still have to wait a couple more months though)

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

Could always keep a tank setup indoors and “let it out to play” when summer water temps are good.

Upvote 0

MickSG

Here in Singapore they have then in the ponds at the river safari, and at the botanical gardens. It is pretty warm here all year round though.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hemikyle
Replies
Views
Kate1018
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi