African Cichlids. Good combinations Question

1. ang1329 Initiate Member

I am getting a 50 gallon bow tank and know about the nitrogen cycle. I am a beginner and new to cichlids and have done lots of research on them in the past couple of days I am planning on getting African cichlids and algae eaters(bottom feeders). If anyone has good suggestions on what types of cichlids and bottom feeders i should mix and stock in my 50 please do let me know on how many i can stock and list good suggestions for this tank. This will help me get started as i am waiting to pick up my tank. Thank you.

2. DRock914 Member Member

If you want a pleco for your bottom feeder I would recommend a Gibbiceps because that is the only one I have seen stay alive more then 2 weeks in my dads tank due to African water conditions being different then South American. Which African lake are you interested in?

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

awesome tank ..love the bowfronts...heres a link with some great suggestions http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

the thing to remember with africans is 1m/3-4f ratio in stocking...sticking to the same type of lake species is best although some members have combined a few...lots and i mean lots of hiding spots are a must...rock caves are their favorites...bottom feeders arent needed with them as they are super scavengers..and that leaves you more room for more fish if you dont bother with the bottoms .....if you do a search on our site in the african section, you can get a ton of ideas..heres the link https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/african-cichlids/ good luck and remember to get pics for us :)

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;rlOMG im sorrrrrrrrrrry LOL :;rl
    thanks BB for covering my :;bb as always ;D :;rl still

5. ang1329 Initiate Member

mainly malawi but maybe a couple of very agressive Tanganyika because i do understand that the malawi are very agressive. i just don't know what species i should use

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

did you see the corrected link i shared? it has a ton of info..and im sorry for the "doghouse" link

7. ang1329 Initiate Member

yes i have looked at the cichlid forum it was very helpful thank you