African Cichlids Experts..... Help A Beginner Identify Some Fish! Question

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Sagar77, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Sagar77

Sagar77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    First time posting on this forum. I'm an African Cichlid newbie and like any noob.... I went to my Petco and bought three Aulonocara peacock african cichlids! Don't worry they will survive. ;)

However, I'm calling on the african cichlids experts to identify these 3 Aulocara species (if possible) identify their gender. I will post some pics to help you in your sleuthing. Thanks in advance!

Fish 1: Blue with faint vertical stripes. Species? Gender?

Fish 2: Lemon colored. Species? Gender?

Fish 3: orange head, blue face. Species? Gender? 20180830_180645.20180830_180637.20180830_180643.20180830_180759.
    20180830_180952.20180830_180717.20180830_180745.20180830_180737.20180830_180717.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,454
    Experience:
    5 years
    Yellow is a sunshine peacock, Blue and gold is a Z rock I think (definitely not a Peacock), and the small blue I think is a Nyassae Peacock.

3. OP
    OP
    Sagar77

Sagar77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Jake, thanks for the prompt response. I guess you are saying:

Fish 1: Nyassae Peacock
    Fish 2: Sunshine Peacock
    Fish 3: Z rock

Makes sense. Anybody seconds these?

Any guesses for the genders? These fish are about 2 inches in size.

4. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,454
    Experience:
    5 years
    The first three pictures are the z rock, the little all blue one is the Nyassae, and the yellow is the lemon. Z rock and lemon are males. Not sure of the other.

5. OP
    OP
    Sagar77

Sagar77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks! That really helped.

Do you think the yellow is a Sunshine Peacock or a Lemon Jake?

6. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,454
    Experience:
    5 years
    Sunshine. :p

7. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,070
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The little blue one is not a Peacock. Probably not pure anything. Note the horizontal line down the side, NO Peacock species shows a horizontal line at any stage of its life.

Also, the blue and yellow fish is not a pure Z Rock, as it also has a line down the side; Otopharynx lithobates has three spots, no horizontal stripe. Even as fry. There are other Hap types with a similar color pattern, it would require someone more familiar with those types to suggest anything in particular. But best guess is another hybrid.

I would have to question the purity of the Yellow Peacock if it came from the same tank as those other two fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Sagar77

Sagar77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Chromedome,

That's some great info! Thanks. I like the 'NO Peacock species shows a horizontal line at any stage of its life' thumb rule. The littel blue one is probably a hybrid Hap too? Actually, I do like the horizontal line on the 'hybrid Z rock', which I mistakenly thought was a sulfur head. I am just learning about these amazing Lake Malawi cichlids and appreciate the help I am getting here. Next time, I will pay a few dollars more to buy from our excellent but pricey LFS, River City Aquatics in Austin TX.

Any insight about the gender of these fish?

9. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,454
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hm, I didn’t notice the horizontal line on the blue for some reason. I was confused by the z rock-like species because of the lack of dots and thought maybe it happens, thanks for the insight.

@Sagar77 CD knows his stuff, I usually tag or wait for him to come along lol. I also just noticed I started saying lemon instead of sunshine lol. Not a lemon jake.

10. dbjonesjr

dbjonesjrValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    As to the gender if they are peacocks or haps they normally don’t show anything close to that much color unless they are male. So, I would say male on the Sunshine and Hap hybrid but not sure about the blue one.

11. cichlid4life

cichlid4lifeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +363
    Experience:
    4 years
    picture number 4,7, and 8 is definitively a male sunshine.

12. OP
    OP
    Sagar77

Sagar77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a ton for the replies. I am very grateful to you all and even more excited about this hobby!

In the above thread, I was 'advised' to refrain from getting hybrids which are typically found at the big box pet stores. I heeded that advice and went to a reputable LFS and bought some pure strains. I spent more than 3 times what I would at Petsmart but it was worth it. Unfortuantely, I still do not know the exact species for the 2 new fish. I am posting pics and will be grateful if you can help with the species. The first 2 pics are of an Mbuna (blue and black stripes) and the next 2 of a peacock (orange body). 20180909_213856.20180908_143925.20180908_143833.20180908_025820.

13. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,454
    Experience:
    5 years
    Mbuna is a cynotilapia Afra.

Peacock is not a Peacock, it’s a Copadichromis Borleyi.

Edit: you can and will find hybrids in most stores, big box or not.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  14. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,070
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think the Cynotilapia is C. zebroides rather than afra. There were some changes to this genus a few years ago, and there is still a lot of confusion over species ID.

15. OP
    OP
    Sagar77

Sagar77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info. I love setting up my underwater ecosystem (aka fish tank) but african cichlids sure are confusing. Thanks to you folks for helping me out.

This is the second time I thought I bought a peacock which turned out to be a hap!

Also this hobby is expensive so I want to curtail my expenses!Would you advise me if I am over-paying at my LFS? I'm in Austin TX and the LFS I do business with is River City Aquatics. The cynotilapia zebroides (dogtooth) is about a 3 inch male and was reasonably priced at $7. The Copadichromis Borleyi (redfin hap) is a 7 inch male and I paid $40 for it. These prices were after a 20% discount on the regular prices during their once-a-month sale.

16. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,454
    Experience:
    5 years
    I don’t think you’re overpaying!

17. dbjonesjr

dbjonesjrValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    Price for a 7 inch male sounds about right, maybe even a little cheap for where I live. If you want to stay cheap then I’d recommend buying younger fish and having them vent them or look at colors to pick out males.

18. OP
    OP
    Sagar77

Sagar77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Finally got a good pic of the big fish while it was sleeping. Do you guys still think it's a C. Borlryi? Or something else?

Isn't the Copadichromis Borlryi the redfin hap?

Attached Files:

19. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,454
    Experience:
    5 years
    Yes, still that.

20. OP
    OP
    Sagar77

Sagar77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    So, is a redfin hap. Makes sense since it is bigger than most peacocks at 7 inches. Thanks.