african cichlid?

fish90
hI there everyone I need some suggestion. I am thinking about getting some african cichlid and I was wondering which cichlid will go well with one another? I have done some research and it requires me to get a 55 gallon tank if I want to take care of these cichlid however I do not have a 55 gallon but I do have a 37 gallon. I was hoping maybe I can still get these fishes even though I have a 37 gallon. I know that I will not have a lot of these fishes. what do you guys thing? I was thinking about maybe 7-8 of these fishes? I have look at petsmart they have KenyI African Cichlid,Electric Yellow Labidochromis,Jewel Cichlid,Electric Blue Cichlid,Peacock Cichlid,Zebra African Cichlid,Bumblebee African Cichlid,Auratus African Cichlid,AceI Cichlid. if I have done my research right I believe that the zebra,bumblebee,kenyI are all in the same lake known as malawi? help? oh yeah I forgot. are they hard to take care of?

Advertisement
Nick G
HI fish90. Those fish are all from lake MalawI except the Jewels, which are African riverine Cichlids. 37gallons isn't big enough to keep MalawI Cichlids IMO. Although you could keep a couple of Jewel Cichlids in a tank of that size. Some of the lake Tang Cichlids are suitable for a 37gal tank, however I'm not really familiar with them. One of our members, Nutter, is very knowledgable with the lake Tang Cichlids though, hopefully he'll see this thread and be able to help.

Advertisement
Nutter
I agree with Nick. I wouldn't be putting any Malawis in anything less than 55gal. It's not how many fish there are it's how much swimming space there is. Mbuna are extremely active & need a tank that offers plenty of swimming space. You could do the Red Jewels in 37gal like Nick said with no problem. The Jewels should not be mixed with cichlids from the rift lakes, (Malawi, Tanganyika & Victoria are the main three rift lakes). The Jewels require different water parameters, different decor & have different ways of defending territory etc to the mbuna, which can often lead to confusion & aggression.

There are a few options for Tangs (Tanganyikans) in a 37gal which I can advise you on if you are interested in them.

fish90
ok thank you guys for your input. I will probably get these fishes in the near future then. but for now any other suggestion for a 37 gallon tank beside cichilids? other than a community fishes?

Nutter
I'd go with Tanganyika cichlids personally.

in 37gal you could do:
1 x Altolamprologus Calvus
1 x Julidochromis DickfeldI or MarlierI 'Gombe' (Gombe are slightly smaller than normal Marlieri) OR Julidochromis Ornatus
1 x Neolamprologus BrichardI Or Neolamprologus Pulcher
1 x Neolamprologus Leleupi
5 x Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis

OR

1 x Julidochromis Transcriptus OR Julidochromis Ornatus
1 x Neolamprologus Pulcher OR Neolamprologus Brichardi
1 x Neolamprologus Leleupi
1 x Telmatochromis Bifrenatus or Telmatochromis Temporalis
4 x one of the Shell Dweller species.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views