African Cichlid Stone Recommendations

TJayPoling

African Cichlids

I've been using some stone slates once used in a garden(cleaned), stacked intricately, creating many clean hallways and tunnels, laying over a sand & crushed coral substrate.
I'll be honest, I believe my cichlids love it this way... My one has been working hard moving sand, creating a mound against the one side of the glass.. burrowing as deep as she can get, but is extremely active.

ANYHOW, I was thinking of buying some nice black stone slates for the tank, as a replacement(I think it looks good, for that reason only), or from what I read, limestone is recommended for cichlids.. but I don't really care for how the limestone looks and, I'm concerned of tumble stacks.. but at the end of the day... It isn't what I want completely, I want to get, THEE ROCK type, that my Cichlids need and would love... OR, am I just looking into that thought to much?

MacZ

You're overthinking. I had breeding tanks with stacked bricks and slate inbetween, just so the fish had hiding spots. They really don't care. If you want the whole thing look impressive and like Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika, use basalt. Bit pricey, bit heavy but especially covered in aufwuchs you get a feeling of how it looks in the rift valley lakes.

Upvote 0

TJayPoling

You're overthinking. I had breeding tanks with stacked bricks and slate inbetween, just so the fish had hiding spots. They really don't care. If you want the whole thing look impressive and like Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika, use basalt. Bit pricey, bit heavy but especially covered in aufwuchs you get a feeling of how it looks in the rift valley lakes.
That's a very direct answer, I appreciate that. Thanks for the advice!
Only thing is, I don't fully understand what aufwuchs is... I did a few Google searches, and I don't think the plants in the picture is it, it says it's an algae? A few pronounced pictures coming from the search, shows some micro organism looking pictures...

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Aufwuchs is the term that basically explains a layer containing a variety of biofilm, micro algae, and tiny organisms that live in it.

Upvote 0

TJayPoling

Aufwuchs is the term that basically explains a layer containing a variety of biofilm, micro algae, and tiny organisms that live in it.
Alright, that makes sense now. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

I do the same thing you are doing. I have stones I found in my backyard stacked up to make a nice tunnel system. I too hate the way it looks but it was free and my fish love it so I just leave it as is.

Upvote 0

TJayPoling

I do the same thing you are doing. I have stones I found in my backyard stacked up to make a nice tunnel system. I too hate the way it looks but it was free and my fish love it so I just leave it as is.
Lol, well it's nice to hear from others, who took a shortcut to an environment that the fish are happy in, but we are not.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JB92668
Replies
Views
Bizarro252
  • Question
Replies
Views