African Cichlid Start Up

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by nathanlubensky, Aug 14, 2015.

1. nathanlubenskyValued MemberMember

I came into a 20 long tank. I decided to start off an african cichlid tank about 3 weeks ago, which I soon plan to upgrade to 75 gallons.

Right now I have an electric blue haplichromis, venustus, 2 chilotilapia rhodessi, a red malawi.
    i put my orange chromide in with them because it was getting aggressive in my other tank. everything seems fine for now but when i first got the hap it was not doing well. I have been running the tank at 85 degrees and aquarium salt ever since and everything seemed to clear up. I stopped adding salt last week, continued with weekly water changes but kept the heat. although the upgrade is coming soon, the hap seems to be itching again.
    his feces are not white. he's eating. he's active.

i use stress coat with every change, i do about 30 percent with the water changes.
    i have an aquaclear 20 running on there for now with chemipure elite, and i have an airstone going 24/7.

should i be concerned? no white spots. no labored breathing ...

what else can i do

2. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

LeoDiaz might be able to shed some light.

3. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Well wat you can do is rehome most of your fish bring your temp down to 80/82. The venustus gets to big for a 75 so do the chilotilapia rhodessi. The electric blue and red malawi i need the scientific names because is a name many fish use. The orange chromide should be with them. No need for using aquarium salt. Wat hap is the one acting funny?

4. nathanlubenskyValued MemberMember

sciaenochromis fryeri i believe. not 100 percent sure. the red malawi is a peacock, but its very small and already starting to fade to gray, thats a bummer about the venustus and rhodesii i like those fish.

5. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Fryeri should not be with peacocks unless there all males. The red malawi is a peacock but which one?

6. nathanlubenskyValued MemberMember

not sure its very small. its original coloration faded, it was sold to me as a red malawi

7. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

red malawi is like telling me white dog. Doesnt give me alot of info. When you upgrade to a 75 are u going to do a all male peacock tank or a male and female tank?

8. nathanlubenskyValued MemberMember

yea i understand that but a lfs doesn't always provide scientific names
    it would most likely be male and female. i'm not planning on getting rid of anything i have unless i run into problems.

9. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

So your saying you will keep ur venustus that can get 8-12 inches big and ur chilotilapia that get bigger then a foot in a 75?

10. nathanlubenskyValued MemberMember

for now ... considering i picked them out of a 20 gallon if the time comes where i need to upgrade or get a new home for them that can always happen. i respect your knowledge... perhaps you've seen these breeds at that size but they are like 2 inches right now ... i would think i have some time here

11. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

The smaller the tank there in they wont grow as fast as they should. At 2 inches they should already be in a big tank. You could be stunting there growth without even knowing. Also they grow rather fast.

12. nathanlubenskyValued MemberMember

that doesn't sound good. im hoping to get the tank by the end of the week.
    do you suggest i get rid of the venustus right away even in a tank of that size?
    i am not sure if i had the right names for alltthese fish here is the "blue hap" and the "red malawi"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

I will get rid of electric blue haplichromis, venustus, 2 chilotilapia rhodessi asap. And if you want a male and female tank i will get 1 group of peacocks with 3 males and 12females. I cant really see your pics that well.

14. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

It's a 20 long. That will work fine for a grow out. The only problem with doing this is the OP doesn't have the bigger tank. This may work out, but you should really buy the fish for the tank you have, not the tank you may have one day....

15. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Grow out is frome there tiny .75-1.5 not when they are already as big as the once he has. But i agree on your last sentence.

16. nathanlubenskyValued MemberMember

i got greedy. i didn't assume i would have to clean house given its a pretty big upgrade. i didnt really plan this tank out like my other one. this one really started with just the chromide because he was bothering my rams and golden wonder. then i got really greedy with the prospect of a higher ph tank.

17. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Oh please. Kept in a bare bottom with good filters and water changes, they are not going to become stunted overnight. You are talking about 2 inch fish in a 30 inch tank. Honestly some of you kids need to get some more experience rather than continue to give out bad info. Here's some advice for you, stop believing every article you read on the internet.....

18. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

I didnt say he stunting them i say he could be or could happen like in the future. Does it looke like he has a bare bottom tank and doing all u say. I dont read articles i keep and breedd these fish and know about them. I dont like reading articles i learn from experience or talking to fellow cichlids keeper in swap meets. But ill just walk myself out of this thread.

19. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

It sure doesn't look like he is keeping them in a bare bottom. Maybe you should have suggested that before I did. You know a little about fish. Any thread that has anything to do with Africans and you are all over it. Some of your advice is good. Some is very questionable. Don't leave on my account. No one likes a quitter.

20. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Im leaving cause it looks like you have everything under control here no need for me to continue. Now lets stop before we get:;ot

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice