African Cichlid(s)

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Well Known Member Member

Hi.
    It's more curiousity and (extremely) long term plans but I was curious what an ideal set up would b for an electric yellow Mbuna and if anything could be tank mates with it. Also wondering what the minimum would be. Thanks :)

2. Ed204

Ed204 Fishlore VIP Member

I would say that the bare minimum for a yellow lab is 25-30 Gallons.

They're supposed to be one of the more shy and peaceful Cichlids out there however, they are still Cichlids and can still be agressive as any other Cichlid.

What tank size are you planning to get?
    I would recommend a community tank with African Cichlids with similar temperament, with all males.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I have electric blue johanni, red zebra, socoloffi, acei, and yellow lab in my tank. I keep it at 77*f to keep the aggression down in an overstocked mbuna tank.

4. V

Vourg Valued Member Member

you need to put lots of hiding places if your doing a cichlid tank. there are some mbuna species that are pretty territorial so its best if you have hiding places to avoid territorial aggression.

5. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Not really planning anything. I'm only 17 haha as need a job before I can buy a 3rd tank. Unless anyone is giving away a full 25-30 gallon tank kit for like 40$ it's more of a dream of mine then it is a reality

6. Ed204

Are you just planning to keep a single one?

7. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

In a perfect world ya I would have a single Yellow Lab and then some other small school fish in a relatively smallish tank (as in not a 40+)

8. Ed204

I wouldn't keep schooling fish with African Cichlids because as they mature they'll become more agressive and territorial, that's why they need to be kept in a tank with other Africans.

I think a 20-25 gallon would be okay for ONE lab. With nothing else

9. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Good to know. If I ever find a job. Grow up and start making $ that's my next purchase

10. Ed204

Alright however, it would be best if he were in there alone. Or you could possibly get a bigger tank and put other Africans with him.

11. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Will do. Thanks :)

12. Ed204

Anytime! :)