african cichlid Qi Question 

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really want expert opinion on this one I'm wanting to start my first african cichlid tank is a 30 gallon range good for just a couple like 2mbuna and 2 johanni?what's the best substrate, live plant, diet, bottom dwelling tank mate,overal laquascape?? are those types compatable?
i really want acouple albino cory cats and one of the smaller plecos
if it makes any difference i plan to buy them as juvys

i really want these guys so experienced cichlid owners plz

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know about which cichlids, maybe some labs? I don't think the cory cats would survive with such aggressive tank mates... and besides a bristlenose pleco, I think you can't really support any other plecos because of their bioload in your 30 gallon.

I would suggest getting at least a 55 for cichlids. You can have many, many more in there. Also, I see you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. This is very important, please read this link https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

The information there will help you keep your tank clean, happy and healthy. And to Fishlore!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good afternoon, Izzyfish.

I wouldn't recommend any tank smaller than a 55 gallon for african malawi cichlids.

You could have a 30 gallon Tanganyika tank. They are african, but have different colorations and would do well in a 30 gallon.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Izzyfishfarmer. I definitely wouldn't recommend keeping Cories with African Cichlids. I had 3 fully grown Cories in my Malawi tank with a bunch of Juvie Africans for about 2 weeks whilst I was waiting to rehome them and they got beat up pretty bad. They recoved fine but I don't think they would have stood a chance with fully grown Africans.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent advice above. 55 gallon is really the minimum for the fish your interested in (Mbuna). You could do a biotope tank of Lake Tanganyika cichlids. There are many species from that African lake that would work well in a 30gal. Or you could do some of the African riverine species like Kribensis. Most Rift Lake tanks are decorated with just rock piles to create lots of caves. There are no need for plants as the rift lakes are mostly devoid of plant life & all but the hardiest of plants will either succumb to the hard water & high PH conditions or will be rapidly destroyed by the fish. The riverine species will often do well with plants & the waters they are from are usually soft & acidic. Corys will not do well with most african cichlids but you could do Corys & a Pleco with Kribensis without any problems.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads