African cichlid personalities...

Pariah

Reaction score
Amish country Ohio. Home state: Alaska (interior)
Experience
5 to 10 years
We've always kept SA cichlids and they are very social and inquisitive of the going ons outside of the tank. They are almost dog like sometimes when they beg.

Today we were at our LFS and my wife liked several of the African cichlid species. Our firsthand experience is limited to seeing them in fish stores. They all seem skittish, only care about what's in their tank and lacking the curious nature of SA species. Is this a pretty accurate description of the African cichlid personalities?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine are puppies. They beg and splash water out of the tank when they do. They nip fingers and arm freckles when I clean the tank, eat out of my hand and some even let me catch them by hand.

They are also jerks though, some males just don’t like particular fish in the tank so they bully them, relentlessly at times.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept African and American Cichlids at various stages. Americans definitely have more individual curiosity and personality. Africans make up for it with their activity and colour.

OP
Pariah

Pariah

Reaction score
Amish country Ohio. Home state: Alaska (interior)
Experience
5 to 10 years
GlennO said:
I've kept African and American Cichlids at various stages. Americans definitely have more individual curiosity and personality. Africans make up for it with their activity and colour.
We actually picked up a pair of electric blue acaras today, but one of these days, I intend on having an African tank. Some of them rival saltwater for color! Yellow labs have always been one of my top 10 most attractive fish. Thanks, y'all!

New Threads