African Cichlid Identification 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by A_Strad, Mar 18, 2010.

1. A

A_Strad New Member Member

Hello everyone and thankyou for reading my topic,
    I just recently set up my 55 Gallon Freshwater Tank last Sunday night after I bought a single African Cichlid. Now, don't worry about my cycle as it is doing perfectly well, I have no chemicals in my H2O as it is well water (I live on a ranch). Therefore, my water is alright for fish almost right away. This isn't my first setup either, I've had the same 55 gallon tank set up a few years ago but we moved and I gave the fish away to a respectful owner. Back then, I also had African Cichlids but was young and it didn't matter what kind, nor did breeding. Now, I am very interested in the subject of breeding and the breed I currently have. Yesterday, I bought 3 Synodontis Catfish and 2 more African Cichlids (both yellow) and now I need help finding out exactly what species and (if you could) the sex of these fish (or help in identifying the sex), I have done extensive research on the internet and have found the likely species of both the colors (1 Blue, 2 Yellow) My guess is electric yellow and electric blue Malawi African Cichlids any help? I would really appreciate it if any knowledgeable Cichlid enthusiast would have some input on these Cichlids, thankyou ahead of time... A_Strad Attch:

2. n

namehater Well Known Member Member

are we supposed to guess?

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    A

I'm really sorry, I'm currently trying to upload some pics but am having some problems while in the process... Trying

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FL! You may need to resize your pics before you can upload the attachment.

6. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

Are The Fish All Yellow With White/Black Top Fin. If So My Guess is they are Electric Labs, but a picture would be more helpful.

7. OP
    OP
    A

I JUST RESIZED MY PICTURES! HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS, AND HELPS! LOL
    P.S. - I'm currently working on a video for youtube.

Attached Files:

8. n

namehater Well Known Member Member

not a yellow lab for sure. i cant recall the name for what they are tho, doh!

9. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

Honestly Not A Clue, But I Like The Tank Set up and The fish look Great :)

10. OP
    OP
    A

Cichlid Ident.

Hello everyone and thankyou for reading my topic,
    I just recently set up my 55 Gallon Freshwater Tank last Sunday night after I bought a single African Cichlid. Now, don't worry about my cycle as it is doing perfectly well, I have no chemicals in my H2O as it is well water (I live on a ranch). Therefore, my water is alright for fish almost right away. This isn't my first setup either, I've had the same 55 gallon tank set up a few years ago but we moved and I gave the fish away to a respectful owner. Back then, I also had African Cichlids but was young and it didn't matter what kind, nor did breeding. Now, I am very interested in the subject of breeding and the breed I currently have. Yesterday, I bought 3 Synodontis Catfish and 2 more African Cichlids (both yellow) and now I need help finding out exactly what species and (if you could) the sex of these fish (or help in identifying the sex), I have done extensive research on the internet and have found the likely species of both the colors (1 Blue, 2 Yellow) My guess is electric yellow and electric blue Malawi African Cichlids any help? I would really appreciate it if any knowledgeable Cichlid enthusiast would have some input on these Cichlids, I've now posted both pictures and a URL to a video I just put on YouTube.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCypL0GbBqA thankyou ahead of time... A_Strad Photo Attch:

Attached Files:

11. bolivianbaby

Hello,

The top left picture looks like a Kenyi to me. If I'm not mistaken, it's a female. The top right picture is for sure an electric blue johanni.

I hope this helps:)

12. bolivianbaby

I answered this in your other thread as well, but the 1st pic looks like a female Kenyi and the 2nd pic is definitely an electric blue johanni.

Beautiful fish!

13. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The blue is a Johanni as BB says. Perhaps female but it's very hard to tell as the sexes look very similar. Yellow fish in the first, second & third pic appears to be Pseudotropheus Crabro. They are almost immpossible to sex. The yellow fish in the fourth photo is I suspect a female Kenyi as BB suggested.

14. bolivianbaby

Hmmm, more research needed. Am I looking at the pics wrong or is the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pic the same fish?

15. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry BB. Guess I held that 'S' key down for too long. :)

I'll fix that up right now.

16. bolivianbaby

No problem, I thought it was pretty funny myself:)

17. OP
    OP
    A

Ok everyone, here's the deal. I've done more research and have found this out. The Blue N' Black Cichlid is most definately a male electric blue johanni, the female electric blue johannies are yellow almost like a mature male kenyi. Now, as for the yellow guys, both of them are very similar to eachother, one w/ fairly darker stripes than the other though, I've found out that they could either be young male kenyies, who are yet to lose their strips, or they're Pseudotropheus Crabro which I haven't done any research on yet but pictures look very similar to these fish... Thanks for the help everyone, anyone else has anything that may help I'm all for it...

18. OP
    OP
    A

Somebody pease help me...(Desperate)

Hi everyone, I've posted before but I still haven't been able to figure out what kind of African Cichlids I have... I've looked everywhere but to no avail... Maybe they're hybrids but idk. If you could spare a little time and some very useful info I'd really, really, appreciate it...My only guess is electric yellow, or Kenyi's (male). Which would suck cause I DO NOT want an all male tank. Actually if I can't figure out what species these are I'm gettin' rid of em' and am givin' my electric blue johanni 3 or four females so I can breed, but these guys are soooo awesome I really don't want to get rid of them.. plzz help, They both have the light brown striping but its quite visible on 1, then on the other, the brown is nearly transparent and he definately seems more yellow than the first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCypL0GbBqA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU6MewzP95I

Attached Files:

19. OP
    OP
    A

The picture on the right doesn't do his color justice. He's actually a very rich yellow color now, but you can still see just a tinge of striping up n' down, with a horizontal in the middle... but it's barely noticeable

20. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

To me looks like is a hybrid between a Bumblebee and Melanochromis Auratus. The bumblebee has stripes up and down but the shape is what is putting me in doubt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice