African Cichlid I.D. Help

TheAD

Hello everyone. About a month ago now I got 3 cichlids from a friend and he told me they were african chichlids and they were wreaking havoc on his community tank. So I took them off his hands and put them in with my Severum and Blood Parrot.

I have read you shouldn't mix american and african somewhere I can't remember where with that being said though everyone is happy and the tank is rather calm.

I am just curious as to what I took off his hands.

You must be registered to see images

A201

The bottom two look like a Red Zebra & Red Fin Borleyi.
Need a better pic of the top fish.

TheAD

Need a better pic of the top fish
I will see if I can get him/her to come out. Very shy this one

This is a much better picture. Ty for the help :)

A201

In most cases mixing African Cichlids with New World Cichlids doesn't work well.
Differing water parameter requirements as well as territorial aggression issues often make the combination of the two genus unworkable.
Of course there are always exceptions.

Bwood22

I think that's a pseudotropheus acei in the pic with the red zebra.

TheAD

Awesome tyvm. I will keep an eye on them and if needed I have a fish store near me that can take the African Cichlids off my hands.

Bwood22

It's hard to tell what exactly that OB is....its definitely an Mbuna.

Can you get another pic of the fish with the black blotches? I want to see its whole head...especially up under its mouth/chin area.

TheAD If you drop food in the tank does the black blotched fish eat?

A201

I agree, It certainly might be an Acei, but need a better pic for a positive identification.
Here's a pic of one of the best male Acei I once kept. Maybe the OP can compare.

TheAD

I agree, It certainly might be an Acei, but need a better pic for a positive identification.
Here's a pic of one of the best male Acei I once kept. Maybe the OP can compare.
This really does look like what I have. Well at least the one anyways.

Bwood22 Yes, it comes out to eat just fine. Probably the most aggressive eater in the tank next to the blood parrot who is a pig. Usually after eating it goes back under the rocks as I assume that is the territory it has claimed.

Bwood22

This really does look like what I have. Well at least the one anyways.

Bwood22 Yes, it comes out to eat just fine. Probably the most aggressive eater in the tank next to the blood parrot who is a pig. Usually after eating it goes back under the rocks as I assume that is the territory it has claimed.
Ok....nevermind then. That's cool.
The way that it's mouth looks in that second pic had me suspicious that it might be a holding female.
But if its eating aggressively then that's not the case.

TheAD

Thanks for all the help. Today is cleaning day so while I am doing that I will see if it will be kind enough to say hi...I doubt it though. lol

Here of some close up photos. Hopefully they are what you are looking for :) Could of taken a couple more I suppose but it was already stressed as is with me catching it, holding it and taking its tank apart cause I am adding more rocks and hiding spots.

Bwood22

So in summary...you have 3 Mbuna from lake Malawi.
They are African Cichlids. And they are know for being the most aggressive of all of the types African Cichlids.
They also are primarily herbivores so be careful feeding foods with high protein content because they can bloat up especially if your GH (magnesium) levels are low. Stay away from bloodworms and other meaty type foods with them.
Magnesium is key for their digestion and is one of the primary reasons that they need hard water.
I say this because the Maylandia and the Pseudotropheus look a bit big in the belly.
That's also a really good reason to not mix Africans with South & Central American cichlids because they require vastly different water parameters that can be detrimental to their health and well being.

TheAD

Ok. I will look at rehoming them then. Last thing I want is to kill a fish that could otherwise be very healthy and thrive in a different environment. I do have hard water which will work in their favor but at the end of the day it is what is best for the fish.

Azedenkae

Ok. I will look at rehoming them then. Last thing I want is to kill a fish that could otherwise be very healthy and thrive in a different environment. I do have hard water which will work in their favor but at the end of the day it is what is best for the fish.
I'm gonna offer my two cents on this. I have always mixed cichlids from the two continents and never had a problem. Not once.

Caring for them was the same as caring for a tank with just american cichlids.

They colored up just fine no matter the pH, and aggression is just aggression. Especially in a truly mixed tank with so many different species.

Bwood22

Oh it can be done....no doubt about that.
My very first tank ever was 75 gallons.
I had 30 Red & Cobalt Zebra Mbunas, a 16 inch Pleco, 2 silver dollars, 1 oscar, a 10 inch shovelnose catfish, an 8 inch Red Bellied Pacu, a zebra pleco, and 2 Siamese algae eaters.

I always wondered why my water was cloudy, i was turning the tank over at least twice per hour :)

But that was 25 years ago....Ive learned a thing or two since then.
Just because you can survive on Pepsi and Birthday cake doesn't mean that you should.

But yeah.....you can if that's what you want.

TheAD

that is a lot of BIG fish in that 75 gallon haha. You live and you learn though right :). While I do agree it could for sure work I am thinking of taking them to my LFS. May look at getting something else to put in the tank with the Parrot and the Severum.

A201

I recently picked up two juvenile Chocolate Cichlids. Awsome fish, that would go well with your Severum & Parrot.

Bwood22

that is a lot of BIG fish in that 75 gallon haha. You live and you learn though right :). While I do agree it could for sure work I am thinking of taking them to my LFS. May look at getting something else to put in the tank with the Parrot and the Severum.
I absolutely loved that tank....it was very busy to say the least.
That Pacu was probably one of my most favorite fish ever.
I also used to do full deep cleans and wash all of my equipment in tap water too.

(I still rinse stuff in tap water occasionally, its fine as long as you're quick about it....but back then i was putting stuff in the dish rack to dry lol)

TheAD

I absolutely loved that tank....it was very busy to say the least.
That Pacu was probably one of my most favorite fish ever.
I also used to do full deep cleans and wash all of my equipment in tap water too.

(I still rinse stuff in tap water occasionally, its fine as long as you're quick about it....but back then i was putting stuff in the dish rack to dry lol)
I usually do a full deep clean once a month. Take most of the rocks out, give it a good gravel vac and put them all back in as they were. I will admit I have rinsed in tap water on occasion.

I recently picked up two juvenile Chocolate Cichlids. Awsome fish, that would go well with your Severum & Parrot.
I think the Chocolates will grow to be to big for my current tank. It is only 75 Gallons. I used to have a 125 but when I moved I had to down size sadly. Right now I am doing 50% water changes a week with a deep clean every 3-4 weeks. I could probably do that ever 2 weeks thinking about it.

I was thinking something on the smaller size but not too small.

MacZ

Oh it can be done....no doubt about that.
My very first tank ever was 75 gallons.
I had 30 Red & Cobalt Zebra Mbunas, a 16 inch Pleco, 2 silver dollars, 1 oscar, a 10 inch shovelnose catfish, an 8 inch Red Bellied Pacu, a zebra pleco, and 2 Siamese algae eaters.

I always wondered why my water was cloudy, i was turning the tank over at least twice per hour :)

But that was 25 years ago....Ive learned a thing or two since then.
Just because you can survive on Pepsi and Birthday cake doesn't mean that you should.

But yeah.....you can if that's what you want.
You haven't experienced Malawi cichlids until you have seen them in optimal conditions. Same as blackwater fish. You will never see them the way they really are unless you've seen them in super soft water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
Hemikyle
55 Gallon Tank New Cichlid Keeper
Replies
Views
BVUBeavers
Replies