African Cichlid Fry Tank Question

Watersprite63

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have Peacock Cichlid fry that I have set up currently in a 10 gallon (which they will be transferred to a bigger tank when they grow a bit more) complete with no gravel and a sling filter and some bio balls from my main tanks wet dry sump (main tank is 120 gallon with 200 gallon wet dry sump filtration).

Currently I do not strip my females I let them spit out their fry when they are ready so suggestions and opinions on that are welcome as well as I am always open to other options.

My question is how often do I need to clean or change the sponge filter. Do I buy a whole new filter or what do I do to clean or change out media inside if I can.

I have used other filtration with in the past for fry tanks but this is my first time using a sponge filter

Pictures of current 10 gallon set up. As stated earlier they will go into a larger tank as they age. This is the tank the females are put when they are holding and for the first week or two of the fry free swimming on their own.

Attachments

OP
Watersprite63

Watersprite63

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sponge filter not sling filter

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The sponge does not need to be cleaned very often. With the fry only, it will survive the entire time they are in there. You can tell when it starts to look dirty. I squeeze it a few times in the tank water that I have removed for a water change and it is good to go again.

OP
Watersprite63

Watersprite63

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AQUA_LOVER said:
The sponge does not need to be cleaned very often. With the fry only, it will survive the entire time they are in there. You can tell when it starts to look dirty. I squeeze it a few times in the tank water that I have removed for a water change and it is good to go again.
awesome thank you. With just fry and the occasional female in that tank how often would you guesstimate I totally replace it?

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly I am not sure. It is rare. I have them in my shrimp tanks and I only replace them when the snails eat more than a third of them. My current one is easily a year old.
15844026000473822646964593640614.jpg

New Threads