African cichlid aggression

Dylan13

I've had the OB cichlid for a while and he was always bullied a little by a german red but not to bad then I removed a fish from the tank and the OB killed the german red in a day and got aggressive so I took him out and added a few fish then about 2 weeks later i put him back in and in a few hour he was fighting with a sunshine i have so i took him back out because i dont want ether of them to die and dont wanna get rid of then because they are both beautiful. Any ideas to he make him not aggressive.

#OB cichlid #cichlids #african #freshwater #aggression #help

Demeter

Need more details and less run-on sentences!

Tanks size and number of fish. A picture of the tank would be good too.

Generally speaking a successful African community means a tank on the larger side (55gal+) and several fish to spread aggression. In my 55gal there are about 20 fish and while they do show aggression they aren't causing harm nor death. Having plenty of hiding spots and tall structures to break the line of sight is also key to a happy tank.

Upvote 0

BigBeardDaHuZi

Sadly, timeouts for aggressive fish rarely work.
You could try rearranging the tank decor, but that would probably be just a temporary fix. Or you can try adding more rocks. Create sight blocks. When the other fish is out of sight, it is out of mind.
Other options?
Add more fish. African tanks are usually overstocked to dilute the aggression
Or
Take the killer back and try again with a new OB

Upvote 0

Dylan13

Need more details and less run-on sentences!

Tanks size and number of fish. A picture of the tank would be good too.

Generally speaking a successful African community means a tank on the larger side (55gal+) and several fish to spread aggression. In my 55gal there are about 20 fish and while they do show aggression they aren't causing harm nor death. Having plenty of hiding spots and tall structures to break the line of sight is also key to a happy tank.
It's a 55 gallon with 10 africans an oscar, some bottom feeders and oddballs.

Attachments

• 20200919_141020.jpg
    20200919_141020.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0

Demeter

I’d try adding more Africans but with the oscar taking up all that space and bioload it may not be doable. Genrally it is best not to mix American and African cichlids due to behavioral differences and diet needs.

In a 55gal I’d have just the one oscar or ~15 adult Africans.

Upvote 0

BigBeardDaHuZi

After a while those Mbuna are going to make a tasty treat for that Oscar

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom