African Chiclid tank - Stocking question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mikeskaff, Dec 13, 2012.

1. m

mikeskaff New Member Member

Hello. I asked one other question and everyone was very helpfull, so I am sure some one will be able to help me with this.

In my 90G, I have 12 fish now, They are all african chiclids, but as far as types, I only know I have (02) Frontosa, the rest I am not sure about so if you see any in the pic that you know the type, please let me know.

I would like to add more, but don't want to over stock. what are the recomendations for this size and type of fish as too how many I should have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I do know that the light blue one is a Blue Cobalt, the Yellow one is an Acei and the Blue and Black striped is a Kenyi. The "Camo" fish, I'm not sure of.

As far as the African Cichlids, you want them overcrowded. It will slim down aggression and territorial issues. Make sure you have tons of rocks and hiding places. Around 2-3 hiding places per fish.

The normal ratio I'd suggest for a 90 Gallon is around 6-7 Groups of 6 each. I would have some driftwood, too. The AC's love driftwood as a nice hiding spot.

For example: If you have Acei's - you'd need to have 6 of them. That way you have a pretty good chance of having 1 or 2 males to 4 or 5 females. If that makes sense.

African Cichlids love a strong current, too, along with a lot of filtration. You will have a huge bioload with that many fishes in your tank. I'd suggest 8-9 times on the GPH of what your Tank Gallons are.

P.S. That other blue one closest to the yellow one kind of looks like a Tanzania Black Acei.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Looks like you're all over the place! The green "camo" one you have is a female giraffe cichlid, the yellow one is a kenyi, and the one below it is a cobalt (as said above); the one in the middle looks like an ice blue, and then you have the frontosa.

You may want to consider restocking your tank with a few of your favorites. The giraffe is a hap cichlid, and those are best kept with other haps and peacock cichlids. I believe the kenyi, blue cobalt, and ice blue are mbuna, which are best kept with other mbuna. I don't recall what the frontosa is, but I've only ever heard of people keeping them in species-only tanks.

There's also a blackish fish in the corner that I can't see clear enough. Could you post pictures of each individual fish so we can help you ID them?

4. OP
    OP
    m

Fish photos

Thanks for your help...Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

IMO, your best bet would be to stick with the Mbunas. :)

6. Gordinian

Looks like you've also got 2 peacock cichlids, an auratus, and two common plecos. I'm still not quite sure what that black/blue one is, but it's a mbuna.

I agree with Alex, stick with the mbuna and rehome the rest. Peacocks are way to peaceful for mbuna.

7. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks, sorry to ask, but can you tell me which one is the suratus and which are the plecos so I know for the future?

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Can't help with the cichlids, but the plecos are the sucker mouth fish.

9. Gordinian

The auratus is the skinny black one with the blue stripe, and the peacocks are the shiny blue one and the dullish one (female) by the two plecos in the last picture. As said above, the plecos are the dark suckermouth catfish type thing :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice