Help African Butterfly Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

emchelle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been Googling, but I'm hoping to get some answers to specific questions:

My brother's girlfriend was given an African Butterfly Fish to go in her 10 gallon tank (already overstocked with three goldfish :-X). They asked if I wanted the fish, and being the sucker that I am, I said yes.

So now I have a new 20 gallon tank in my studio, currently heated to around 76F and fully covered. No filter yet, because it's a HOB and I need to adapt the hood to accommodate it (without leaving any significant gaps). I have filter media from an established tank that I can use to get the cycle going.

My area of expertise is goldfish: they're all I keep and I am very comfortable with them. I'm a little lost with this new guy.

Question #1) The fish is about two inches long: is that too small for live food?

I put some freeze-dried bloodworms in the tank this morning. He ate a few but wasn't very excited. This could be just from the stress of the move.

Question #2) I have very high pH. Great for goldfish, but not so great for tropicals?

The general consensus among goldfish keepers is that keeping a stable pH is more important that trying to tweak the pH. In all likelihood the pH at the store was high, too. But should I be trying to lower the pH of the water, and how?

Question #3) At the current tank size (20 gallons) would it be possible to add in other fish? I was thinking specifically of bottom dwellers, like cory cats.

227.jpg

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

1) I understand they are a little slow to start eating so if it anything that's good. being stressed will definitely put fish off food for a day or two.

2) You are absolutely right about not adjusting the pH

3) Corys or something of that nature would be fine. Just nothing top water that's going to compete for food.

Good for you for rescuing this little fella
Again
carol

OP
E

emchelle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks!

He did end up eating the bloodworms. From what I hear they were being fed crickets at the pet store, so I'm going to pick some up later and see if he's more interested in those.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine eats everything. He seems to really like the bloodworms and krill, but he also eats spirulina flakes and pellets. But you are right about the crickets being their favorites...

Regarding tankmates i would say that they can share the tank with any peaceful fish -defenetly not with fin-nippers- that, as Butterfly said, does not compete with him for the surface area.

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could sell him to me... just kidding!

Bottom dwellers should be fine, be wary of adding anything else though because if it fits in his mouth its gone!

And ABF's are slow to start eating once moved, so be glad he ate anything at all!

Last edited:
OP
E

emchelle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This afternoon I went to the store and bought some small crickets and "Crusher" just ate one for dinner. It was so awesome to see him get into hunting mode

I also brought home five Cory Cats: Sheldon, Howard, Raj, Leonard, and Penny I guess this answers the question of whether or not I'll be keeping a tropical tank in the studio...

OP
E

emchelle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How often do you feed your ABF?

Crusher and the Cories seem to be settling in just fine, though the Cories haven't yet been too interested in food.

276.jpg

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I feed mine twice a day, commercial food.
I have no idea how often crickets should be offered. I hope someone in the forum can provide info about that
good luck

Dean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Emchelle, I see you're a fan of the Big Bang Theory... Great Show! I'm putting in an order today for a ABF among others. Can't wait to get it. I've been wanting one for a while. How active is your ABF fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom