African butterfly fish

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I made a novice move
So I found a African butterfly fish and was interested in it and I guess the associate saw my interest in it and coaxed me into getting it
I already had seen them before but never in person only on live aqaria.com and that was to expensive for me to order due to 30$ minimum so I never bought it or looked into
Currently the fish is doing well, just antisocial but not hostile however feeding him is very difficult
He dislikes flakes but will eat blood worm only if stray prices float directly in front of him
I also have a plant that became uprooted and started to float which he took a liking to so I guess they like floating plants , any one know any good durable ones
I would appreciate any help on the species

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would float anacharis personally. They're fairly sensitive fish in my experience, so make sure you keep you nitrates below 40ppm.

They are known to dislike flakes. They're strictly carnivorous, so feeding bloodworms, brine shrimp, and the occasional beefheart will keep him/her happy.

They like to jump also, so make sure you have no openings in your cover.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They need food that floats. If it moves, so much the better. I would try mealworms, crickets, and perhaps try to get him to take floating pellets. It could take a while for that last, though.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've had them before and had good luck with them eating small guppies. Don't know about wax worms but I would stay away from anything with a hard exoskeleton, might be hard to digest, don't really know though.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Insects are their primary diet in the wild, so I suspect the hard exoskeleton is not a problem for them. In fact, I've found that some fish that tend to eat a lot of insects or arthropods in the wild will require them in their diet before they can spawn.

uncfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They do live in floating plants and require it for shade. There eyes point up and out instead of coward and down like most other fish because they hunt on and above the water surface. If you have a lid that is close to the water level I would lower the water so there is about 3-4 inches below the lid. They will jump for food and can hurt themselves in the lid. I hand feed mind a couple small Rosie red or feeder guppies by hand about twice a week, very small live crickets about twice a week. Just throw them in in his area and he will find it. Other then that I feed live black works to keep it happy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom