29 Gallon Tank African butterfly fish with cherry shrimp?

BlackOsprey

I have a planted 29g that currently has a colony of cherry shrimp in it, started by me tossing culls from my main shrimp tank in and expecting the fish to chow down. Shrimp got the last laugh since the big freeze wiped out all my neon tetras and loaches, leaving the tank empty for the shrimp to colonize. They're mostly wild-colors, with a few reds mixed in.

I'm considering adding only one fish to this tank in the future: an african butterfly fish. I know that an AFB can and will eat things like cherry shrimp, but these fish tend to remain at the top and don't venture downwards to hunt. What I want to know is if the AFB will actively dive and pursue shrimp at the mid and bottom levels of the tanks (assuming the fish is well-fed by me). I'm fine with losing some cherry shrimp, but not a total colony wipeout.

GlennO

Bear in mind that I have not tried it, but I feel that it would be very unnatural for it to hunt near the bottom. Their natural food would be primarily insects that fall on the surface or the unfortunate small surface swimming fish.

However it’s recommended to use some floating plants in a tank with African Butterfly Fish and my cherry shrimp do venture up into floating plants. They would definitely be at risk.

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

Yeah, I realize losses are pretty much inevitable. What I hope is that the amount of shrimp eaten is less or equal to the rate that they are multiplying.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Yeah, I realize losses are pretty much inevitable. What I hope is that the amount of shrimp eaten is less or equal to the rate that they are multiplying.

Yeah hard to say. Need to hear from someone who has tried it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
Renaissanista
  • Question
Replies
Views