African Butterfly Fish Dissapearance

Pfyshot

Member
Good afternoon,

I've been prompted to register here because I have two African Butterfly fish in my 30/gal aquarium. Yes one is male and the other is female and my goal is to eventually have them breed. From what I understand if they were to breed the eggs would be laid upon the surface so I don't believe they have mated. However my question is derived because the female has promptly dissapeared over night. She is no where to be seen on the surface. My male is healthy and is doing well. We've had him for over a month and the female for about a couple of weeks. Does anyone know why there may be a random dissapeance that would disuade her from having died?
 
  • Thread Starter

Pfyshot

Member
Disregard this post. I just found her. Sadly she jumped out and has died.
 

trash.binh91

Member
Pfyshot said:
Disregard this post. I just found her. Sadly she jumped out and has died.
I'm so sorry for your loss
 

Mcasella

Member
I would suggest lowering the water level if you intend to breed them, they are known jumpers. Most tanks that house them have several inches from water level surface to tank lid to prevent them from having as easy a time when attempting to escape. I would research more on them to make sure your setup is good to breed them in.
 
  • Thread Starter

Pfyshot

Member
  • Thread Starter

Pfyshot

Member
Mcasella said:
I would suggest lowering the water level if you intend to breed them, they are known jumpers. Most tanks that house them have several inches from water level surface to tank lid to prevent them from having as easy a time when attempting to escape. I would research more on them to make sure your setup is good to breed them in.
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately until now I had not seen any info on them being junpers. Right now they (he) is in my community tank. I was going to move them into another tank for breeding purposes. I'll definitely be sure to lower the water level though. I guess I've just been lucky that my male hasn't jumped out yet.
 

Mcasella

Member
Pfyshot said:
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately until now I had not seen any info on them being junpers. Right now they (he) is in my community tank. I was going to move them into another tank for breeding purposes. I'll definitely be sure to lower the water level though. I guess I've just been lucky that my male hasn't jumped out yet.
Sometimes they have different personalities, but what I have read suggests a good fitting lid, lower water level, approach the tank evenly so not to startle them.
 

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom