Afraid of Java Moss?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by amydeb, Aug 4, 2015.

1. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

I'm very new to plants and need some "real world" advice.

I was thinking about getting some Java Moss to cover a couple items in my 75g tank. I started reading and seeing horror stories of it taking over, having to pull out handfuls at a time, pieces breaking off and growing in filters (that would send me over the edge lol) etc.

I have a low/moderate light, low tech tank. Is this something I should worry about? I don't mind trimming it down, I just don't want a monster taking over my tank.

Justified? Or with my low tech, should I not worry about it?

2. NinjaTetra

NinjaTetra Well Known Member Member

Java moss is super slow growing. although uncommon, I wouldn't be surprised if someone sold black beard algae or something similar as java moss. But real java moss is super slow growing, I have some in my tank and have for a month and theres hardly a visible change.

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Java moss is a slow grower. It shouldn't take over your tank, compared to other plants. Although a few small bits of moss can go floating around and get stuck in your filter intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

The only thing I've found with it is when you trim it and scoop it with a net the smallest piece can turn into a bunch eventually if not removed but it grows fairly slow for me so no big deal. I just find it in all my tanks now occasionally

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks everyone. I guess my next project will be tying up some Java Moss! :)

6. p

prozium Valued Member Member

I just purchased some, should be here in a week. Let me know how your endeavors go... maybe I can learn from your experience :)

7. OP
    OP
    a

Ha! So I'm the guinea pig? I haven't been able to find any locally and will have to order. You may have yours first. We can share notes. :)

8. p

I had to go to aqua bid to find it. This is my first setup since I was a kid. Supposedly it is difficult to kill. I have a small three gallon where I am going to put most of it, the rest goes in my 10 gallon. I'll let you know I saw some neat carpeting ideas with it but I think I'll eventually get baby dwarf tears.

9. D

Donald Corbett New Member Member

Java Moss doesn't grow very fast but over time you'll end up with a lot. It's not hard to remove though. This is about a year and a half of growth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. p

That is super pretty though.

11. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

FYI with mosses, superglue is aquarium safe as long as its Cyanoacrylate super glue. It also cures rapidly in water. For moss, a tiny dab of superglue, then just press a small patch of moss on. Just make sure the patch doesnt have too many layers, its best to go sparing at first. Ive covered several pieces of driftwood with moss this way, as well as attaching Java ferns and Anubias to driftwood using superglue.

12. OP
    OP
    a

I used superglue on one anubias in my tank. But since I've never seen java moss up close, I didn't know how well it would work.

Thank you for the info!

13. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Are you sure that is Java moss? Nice looking tank!

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

14. p

It looks too nice for Java moss

15. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

@amydeb, I agree with the other posts regarding the moss. I personally love it as an accent plant, and I always keep clumps of it growing in corners to be used on driftwood, ornaments, etc. It grows steadily over time, but you can keep up with it pretty easily if you need to cut it back.

A couple years ago I had a tank problem and most of my moss died except for just a few strands clinging to an ornament. Since that time the moss grew steadily. In this picture, taken last night, you can see how big it is in the back right corner. A clump of moss equal to this one is also in my 10 gallon shrimp tank! So it is a hardy plant that adds nice color.

40 Gallon August 2015.jpg

I feel I should add more about maintenance: if you ignore the java moss, and there is current in the tank, pieces will break free and entangle themselves on ANYTHING, and start to grow. This includes other plants as well as the filter intake. When I get slack on my maintenance, I do find myself untangling moss from the base of my other live plants, and pulling it out of my intake. But I have never found it inside the filter. It's not terrible, but you do have to keep up with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  16. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks for that. I guess I'm pretty safe then. I have a little bit of current in the tank but I couldn't ignore it if I tried. I am way to high strung to let anything go for long. lol

17. p

Mine will probably get out of control. Haha

18. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

It looks like Christmas moss to me.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

19. D

I've pondered the same thing. When I first bought it from an lfs it was very thin like Java moss but over time it got thicker and started to branch out like Christmas Moss.

20. D

Moss can be so hard to label at times so they could have easily had it mislabeled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice