Affixing new light to hood?

Laura306

My extra light arrived today and works well, so now I need to go about affixing it to the aquarium hood.
The light is an IP67 rated LED by nicrew, so is fine for hanging in the hood.
But I am using it as supplemental lighting to the LED that came with the tank. So I need to figure out how to attach it next to the other fitting well enough that it won't fall into the water...
Will aquarium sealant/ silicone hold it? The light is about 75cm long, and I believe weighs about 1kg...
It has grooves on the back for heat dissipation, which I thought would help the silicone to get a good grip, if I put it on in a zigzag pattern.
But a few concerns:
Will it hold? Is there a better product for the job? Does it need replacing as it ages?
Will it block too much of the heat dissipation? Will heat soften it and cause it to loose its 'stick'?
And lastly, will it produce fumes from the heat? I know it's meant for aquarium use, but will it be okay directly against the light's warmth?

If anyone sees any issue with using aquarium silicone, please let me know. What would be a better, stronger SAFE alternative? Has anyone used anything else before?

As long as I can rest assured of no light falling into the water, and no fumes created by any kind of glue or overheating, I will be happy!

Thanks in advance for any help, advice and experience!

BigManAquatics

I would think the silicone should hold, just make sure everything is dry and clean beforehand and don't put it back on for a day or two to make sure it is fully set and cured before it is exposed to evaporation.

Upvote 0

Laura306

I would think the silicone should hold, just make sure everything is dry and clean beforehand and don't put it back on for a day or two to make sure it is fully set and cured before it is exposed to evaporation.
Thanks! Would aquarium silicone or regular/ bathroom silicone be best? I definitely don't want any fumes haha.
Thanks for the reminder about letting it cure a few days as well! I totally forgot silicone takes so long to cure fully ‍♀️

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I would do aquarium, at least then you know it is aquarium safe.

Upvote 0

Laura306

I would do aquarium, at least then you know it is aquarium safe.
Awesome! Thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
aquachris
  • Question
Replies
Views
RedOnion
  • Question
Replies