Aeration Question?? Question

1. bruiser Member Member

Hey all, I`m new here, and fairly new the hobby. I`ve had several 10 gallon set-ups, but i just upgraded to a 33 gallon tank. I`m aware of cycling the tank, and all of that sort of stuff... But I have something that may be a dumb question.. just cant find answers anywhere else.

Is there such thing as too much aeration??

I have an AquaClear 300 filter, and a Hagen Optima 807 Air Pump. I have the pump turned down quite a bit, and it is running a 10'' air stone, as well as a 4'' round ''volcano'' air stone.

The bubble's are fairly large, I expected more of a fizzing effect, but the fish don't seem to mind them at all.

I just don't want to over do it.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.
    Chris.

2. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

You can't really over aerate a tank. Water will only hold a certain amount of dissolved oxygen before it starts expelling it into the atmosphere. You would need a lot of airpumps & alot of stones before it really became annoying to the fish. Even then, it is just going to be annoying to them certainly not a threat of any kind.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Bruiser and Welcome to Fish Lore. I agree with Nutter. I've never heard of a tank having too much oxygen or bubbles. The more surface movement you have the better off your tank will be. As long as the fish aren't stressed or being pushed around by the current then everything should be ok.
    I hope you can share some photos with us sometime!
    Ken

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Excellent advice above.