Aeration Question: Air Pump Vs Water Pump?

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by CalistaLL, Jul 22, 2019.

1. CalistaLL

CalistaLLNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm trying to decide the best method for aerating my 300 gallon above ground pond and so far haven't been able to find any succinct advice on the matter.

My question is which would work better for aeration and increasing oxygen levels in my pond, an air filter pumping through an air stone or a submerged water pump? Does one do a better job keeping oxygen levels up than the other and which do you prefer?

I have a canister filter which creates some water movement from the outlet but I feel it isn't enough. The pond is meant for a couple of smallish koi. Any advice would be great!

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,526
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Most air/water gas exchange occurs at the surface of the water. However research has shown that a significant amount of gas exchange occurs between submerged air bubbles and water. Water pumps increase surface aggitation thereby increasing gas exchange, air pumps increase surface aggitation and force bubbles into water. So I'd say, logically, an air pump and diffuser would probably oxygenate water better than just a water pump. BUT (and here's where "succinct" goes down the toilet) It totally depends on what the water pump is doing in the pond. Is it just pumping around enough to ripple the water or is it pumping water down a waterfall or through a pond fountain, either one of those two could cause a greater amount of aggitation and gas exchange than just bubbles through the water.

3. Paper Spiders

Paper SpidersValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +140
    I would say the airpump would be the better choice. You get more 'bang for your buck' with your electricity bill too.

4. OP
    OP
    CalistaLL

CalistaLLNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you, that's very helpful.