Advise

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bradlyrc, Dec 5, 2012.

1. b

bradlyrc New Member Member

So I was given (it was left) an 8" goldfish. He had been kept in a 10 gal. Tank his whole life. We purchased a used tank for him and felt compelled to get him into the new tank right away. Right or wrong that is where he is and he seems much happier. The advise I need is from this point on is there anything I need to do while the tank is cycling? The water is cloudy, I know this is normal, but what about a water change while the tank cycles? Should I still do it weekly? He now lives in a 55 gal tank by the way. Any advise you can give would be great. How do I control the amount of waste they produce? Is there additional care that goldfish require? Thanks in advance.

Brad

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

a fellow bills fan welcome my friend

3. OP
    OP
    b

Painful isn't it!!!!!! Thanks for the welcome. Lets hope sunday goes well.

4. Ethan

can not wait till sunday and on the advise i would advise you to go buy 2 tetra safestarts it literally cycled my tank almost instantly

5. OP
    OP
    b

I was going to add that. You think 2 will do it for 55 gal? Should I be doing a weekly water change now?

6. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

How long has it been since you turned off the 10 gallon or took him out? If the filter media in it is still wet, the bacteria may still be alive. Toss the sponges or whatever into your new filter, or run that filter on your 55 gallon tank along with the new filter, and it will help get you started or even instant cycle you if the bacteria hasn't died off.

And I definitely agree with the TSS, I used 1/2 the media from another cycled tank + a bottle of TSS and never saw a hint of ammonia or nitrates on a new tank.

7. Ethan

i used one bottle on my 30 gallon and it instantly cycled :)

8. OP
    OP
    b

Great. Thanks for the advice. I will get some and see how it goes.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

There are different size bottles of SafeStart for different sized tanks. If you cannot find a bottle that will treat a minimum of 55 gallons, then you may have to buy two bottles which when combined will treat a minimum of 55 gallons.

If you do use the SafeStart, do some water changes (back to back is necessary) to get your ammonia level as close to 0ppm as possible. Then wait 24 hours before adding the entire, well shaken bottle(s) of SafeStart. Then do nothing other than feed your fish for the next 14 days. On day 14 test your water and hopefully, you'll be cycled.

Good luck!

10. j

jpatt50 Valued Member Member

if you use TSS make sure you dont do any water changes for atleast 10 days. dont even test the water( readings will be all over the place and will drive you crazy) do a large water change atleast 50% then wait 24 hours and add the tss. dont change anywater dont do anything just let the tss work its magic. ive wasted a ton of money of tss because i would do water changes and it just ruins the tss. good luck

11. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Best of luck to you and your goldfish, you are doing the research and are giving him a bigger happier home, well done friend!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice