Advise on new tank welcome

Electrotech

Hello, so I'm setting up a new tank after not having one for a few years and we have also moved to a new area. I started of years and years ago with tropicals, and moved to African cichlids, then eventually went to full marine reef.

Anyways new tank is going to be a standard 75 gallon (48"x18'x21") low tech planted tank.
Filtration Fluval 407 and AC110
2x Fluval 300W Heaters
Fluval 3.0 59W Plant LED light
Eco-Complete substrate
Mopani Driftwood and Dragonstone Hardscape
Various live plants will be added

My plan right now for stocking is:

2 - Pair German Blue Rams (really want to get these if at all possible as centerpiece fish) - might have to get Bolivian instead though because of local water
1 - Honey Gourami or powder blue
1 - Angelfish
10 - Sterba's Corydoras
and a couple schools not sure which ones exactly yet, some type of tetras and or barbs to fill out the tank 8-10 of each

as algae grows and the tank gets more established I would add:

1- bristlenose pleco
and some snails and Shrimp

I think the main issue is going to be my tap water. I don't want to run RODI and I'm not going to be trying to chemically adjust the water every week for water changes.
I tested the pH out of the tap and it's high around 8.4 but I didn't let it sit, trying that now to see what it is after sitting for 24 hours and see if it changes at all. Ordered a gH and kH test kit also, but I'm pretty sure my water is hard.

I know with captive bread fish they should be more acclimated to higher pH and hardness, will I be able to have the GBRs and does the rest of the list seem reasonable? What schools should I get to round out the list?

thanks is advance

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum.
  • I'm curious what your pH will be after letting the water sit out for a day, but since you don't want to mess with your water parameters (which I think is a wise decision), you may need to re-think the GBR's.
  • If you do go with them, while I haven't kept them everything I've seen and read about them says they need low to mid 80°'s F to thrive, which is too warm for most commonly kept fish. I think the angelfish will be okay with it, but it still might be a little higher than they like ( and I don't know if angels are compatible with rams). I often see sterbai corys recommended for ram tanks, so they should be fine. I'm pretty sure that's too warm for gouramis and plecos.
  • I often see cardinal tetras recommended for warm water tanks, so they might be a good option for your schooling fish.
  • If you do decide to skip the rams that will give you a lot more flexibility. My water is at 8.2 pH and I have an angelfish doing just fine in it, along with a decent range of other fish.

Electrotech

If I decide to go with the Bolivian Rams instead of the GBRs just because they are supposed to be a little more tolerant of the higher pH and lower temps should I stick with a pair?

I really like Cichlids, I had a 125 Mbuna tank before and a little 20L shellie.

Can I have more cichlids in the tank?

New idea
Say a group 4 of the Bolivian Rams
a group of 4 apistogramma cacatuoides (Cockatoo)
8 Corys
8 Columbian Tetras

Dunk2

Hello, so I'm setting up a new tank after not having one for a few years and we have also moved to a new area. I started of years and years ago with tropicals, and moved to African cichlids, then eventually went to full marine reef.

Anyways new tank is going to be a standard 75 gallon (48"x18'x21") low tech planted tank.
Filtration Fluval 407 and AC110
2x Fluval 300W Heaters
Fluval 3.0 59W Plant LED light
Eco-Complete substrate
Mopani Driftwood and Dragonstone Hardscape
Various live plants will be added

My plan right now for stocking is:

2 - Pair German Blue Rams (really want to get these if at all possible as centerpiece fish) - might have to get Bolivian instead though because of local water
1 - Honey Gourami or powder blue
1 - Angelfish
10 - Sterba's Corydoras
and a couple schools not sure which ones exactly yet, some type of tetras and or barbs to fill out the tank 8-10 of each

as algae grows and the tank gets more established I would add:

1- bristlenose pleco
and some snails and Shrimp

I think the main issue is going to be my tap water. I don't want to run RODI and I'm not going to be trying to chemically adjust the water every week for water changes.
I tested the pH out of the tap and it's high around 8.4 but I didn't let it sit, trying that now to see what it is after sitting for 24 hours and see if it changes at all. Ordered a gH and kH test kit also, but I'm pretty sure my water is hard.

I know with captive bread fish they should be more acclimated to higher pH and hardness, will I be able to have the GBRs and does the rest of the list seem reasonable? What schools should I get to round out the list?

thanks is advance
Welcome to Fishlore and back to the hobby.

Another thing to be aware of with Rams (I keep GBR but not Bolivians). . . They are incredibly slow eaters and can be easily outcompeted for food in a community tank. Given their temperature requirements and slow eating, I recommend keeping them in a species only tank.

Why not get the multiple tank syndrome out of the way early and buy a 20 gallon for a pair of GBR? :)

Electrotech

Welcome to Fishlore and back to the hobby.

Another thing to be aware of with Rams (I keep GBR but not Bolivians). . . They are incredibly slow eaters and can be easily outcompeted for food in a community tank. Given their temperature requirements and slow eating, I recommend keeping them in a species only tank.

Why not get the multiple tank syndrome out of the way early and buy a 20 gallon for a pair of GBR? :)
I’ve had that disease before, it’s hard to get rid of. I think I had 5 tanks at my old house. Just got burnt out on maintainance and the fact my wife made me keep them in the basement where I was the only one who enjoyed them. Here I talked her into letting me put one tank in the family room. Not going to push my luck, and there’s no where really to put more tanks here unless I go downstairs again.

Eaton

I probably wouldn’t put rams and apistogrammas together

Dunk2

I’ve had that disease before, it’s hard to get rid of. I think I had 5 tanks at my old house. Just got burnt out on maintainance and the fact my wife made me keep them in the basement where I was the only one who enjoyed them. Here I talked her into letting me put one tank in the family room. Not going to push my luck, and there’s no where really to put more tanks here unless I go downstairs again.
I get it! But stacking is always an option. . .

2B18BDAD-E5B3-4293-AD04-FE434E6A307B.jpeg

Fae

If I decide to go with the Bolivian Rams instead of the GBRs just because they are supposed to be a little more tolerant of the higher pH and lower temps should I stick with a pair?

I really like Cichlids, I had a 125 Mbuna tank before and a little 20L shellie.

Can I have more cichlids in the tank?

New idea
Say a group 4 of the Bolivian Rams
a group of 4 apistogramma cacatuoides (Cockatoo)
8 Corys
8 Columbian Tetras
This stocking seems better to me, but I would maybe skip out on the corys since you will have almost all bottom dwellers. Either than or choose between apistos and rams

Electrotech

Thanks for all the advise, I think I may have to ditch the idea of the Rams.

4 apistogramma cacatuoides (1M 3F)
8 Corys
8 Colombian Tetras
8 (Another High water Schooling fish)
Also tested my water after sitting for 24 hours and the pH came down a tad to 8.2. Also used some test strips and the gH is either 180 or off the scale and the kH is 80. I have a liquid gH and kH test on order

Fae

Thanks for all the advise, I think I may have to ditch the idea of the Rams.

4 apistogramma cacatuoides (1M 3F)
8 Corys
8 Colombian Tetras
8 (Another High water Schooling fish)
Also tested my water after sitting for 24 hours and the pH came down a tad to 8.2. Also used some test strips and the gH is either 180 or off the scale and the kH is 80. I have a liquid gH and kH test on order
Sounds awesome! Your water is very hard, but if your fish are captive bred it probably won't be an issue. I recommend honey gouramis for your highwater fish :)

Electrotech

Sounds awesome! Your water is very hard, but if your fish are captive bred it probably won't be an issue. I recommend honey gouramis for your highwater fish :)
Well I went and got some more tank mates for my cherry barbs.

so now I have:

8 Cherry Barbs
10 Black Neon Tetras
9 Corydoras Julii
3 Honey Gouramis

I still want to add the harem of Apistogramas so 4 of those

Am I fully stocked after that?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Electrotech
Replies