Advise For Re- Aquascaping

MelanieM

I have a 40 gallon I intended for cichlids so used gravel, stones and drift wood. I changed my mind and got pleco, gourami, molly's , cories and tetra.

I'd like to do more of a planted scape with amazonian aquasoil. I have used before in my small tank so know it needs a few weeks to settle and release ammonia. I'm going to do this in a bucket with my spare pump. Then when ready , remove my fish for a few hours, place the soil, plant my seeds and plants and refill back with the original water.

I'm looking for advise on this process and and suggestions on how others have or might go about this process

Thanks a mill
Mel

MelanieM

H Farnsworth

Do you have any spare tanks to house the fish? spare air pump and stone and heater if necessary?

Dave125g

Yes removing the fish while doing this big a rescape is the best way to go. But use fresh water, not the old tank water.

As stated above you'll need a heater and an air stone in the fishes temporary home. This can take 8 hours or more to do.

Can't wait to see the results. Good luck.

MelanieM

Do you have any spare tanks to house the fish? spare air pump and stone and heater if necessary?
Yes I have a smaller tank setup and running. It can hold everyone for a short time. Don't want to leave them in small space for too long

H Farnsworth

I definitely agree that this is a time consuming process. After I've finished the details of the tank I let it sit for close to a day with a water change a few hours before adding fish.

MelanieM

Yes removing the fish while doing this big a rescape is the best way to go. But use fresh water, not the old tank water.

As stated above you'll need a heater and an air stone in the fishes temporary home. This can take 8 hours or more to do.

Can't wait to see the results. Good luck.
Thanks for feedback on new water rather than old. Yes have a small 5 gallon up and running. It's not ideal. But hoping for a few hours will be ok

Dave125g

Thanks for feedback on new water rather than old. Yes have a small 5 gallon up and running. It's not ideal. But hoping for a few hours will be ok
It should do. Just gotta watch aggression. The smaller space could bring that out. When I do a major rescape on my big tank, I set up multiple rubber made storage bins with heaters and air stones. A major rescape on a 125 gallon tank takes about 10-12 hours.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettatakeover