Advice?

scv87

I have a 10 gallon tank with a male Dwarf GouramI and a male Swordtail. They are in good condition, and get along fine. I'm thinking of getting some more fish, but I don't know what. I thought about 2 female Swordtails, but that might overcrowd the tank, since they can grow to 5 inches, although I doubt they would in my tank.

Any advice would help.

Isabella

Well, a Dwarf GouramI is not too large for a 10 gallon tank (though I'd personally keep even Dwarf Gouramis in tanks of at least 20 gallons). If swordtails indeed can grow to 5", when I am afraid adding two more swordtails will make your tank overcrowded. I believe any fish that grows to 5" is too large for a 10 gallon tank. If you ever get another larger tank, the current swordtail would definitely enjoy more space. If the tank would be at least 20 - 30 gallons, then you could add more swordtails to it. But for a 10 gallon tank, maybe aI'm for small fish like tetras, or other similarly-sized fish. Are there any small fish that you like in particular? Sorry if my reply is disappointing to you, but that's what I honestly think. It's - of course - up to you what you'll do.

Besides, welcome to Fish Lore

Butterfly

Welcome to FishLore!! My Complete Encyclopedia of the Freshwater Aquarium says swordtails get about four inches. when you measure fish you measure from the nose to the caudal peduncle(where the tail fin starts). So two more would indeed over stock your tank. The gouramI would surely eat any fry they might have.
Carol

Stradius011

I'm afraid that you can not keep swordtails in a 10 gallon aquarium. They need more room to swim.

scv87

Stradius011 said:
I'm afraid that you can not keep swordtails in a 10 gallon aquarium. They need more room to swim.
I bought those fish because this site (fishlore.com) says they can live in 10 gallon aquariums.  I'm not doubting your knowledge, I'm just going by what I read here.  Thanks for your input.

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Swordtail.htm

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom