Advice Wanted On Build/content (75g Or 120g)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
When I move I am going to upgrade my 40B to either a 75 or 120. I prefer the 75 dimensions (48x18x20) because it is not as high but I like the 120 (48x24x24) because it is deeper (I would like 48x24x20). I am think acrylic over glass - while I prefer glass the first 40B I had - bottom broke after 2 months causing a huge amount of damage (water) and while the acrylic have the annoying habbit of getting scratch at least it won't break.
-
The current 40B has 7 or 8 kuli loach (2 m; 5 s); 3 panda cory; 4 very small angels; 4 otos; 1 upside down cat, 1 bn pleco and 7 cardinals. The store suggest this is not near bio load but i worry it is over populated. The angels would be problematic when they get larger but by then they will be in a bigger tank.
-
When I get the new aquarium I will try to get 3 more kuhli m (can't seem to find them), 3 more panda and 4 zebra or yoyo (probably zebra) loaches.
-
A few questions - any comments on acrylic vs glass with a focus on breakage/leaks? Any comments on 75g vs 120g and my current or target population.
(The tank is moderately planted with good growth on all plants - esp the val which has gone wild; filtration is currently an aquaclear 70 and eheim 2217 as well as a sponge filter. I will be shutting off the aquaclear 70 in a few days but will add a second eheim 2217 on the new aquairum (so two eheim 2217 on the 75g or 120g - i might not need a second on the 75g but definitely 2 on a 120g if i go that route). I don't mind buying a custom aquarium if it will reduce the chance of breakage.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I move I am going to upgrade my 40B to either a 75 or 120. I prefer the 75 dimensions (48x18x20) because it is not as high but I like the 120 (48x24x24) because it is deeper (I would like 48x24x20). I am think acrylic over glass - while I prefer glass the first 40B I had - bottom broke after 2 months causing a huge amount of damage (water) and while the acrylic have the annoying habbit of getting scratch at least it won't break.
-
The current 40B has 7 or 8 kuli loach (2 m; 5 s); 3 panda cory; 4 very small angels; 4 otos; 1 upside down cat, 1 bn pleco and 7 cardinals. The store suggest this is not near bio load but i worry it is over populated. The angels would be problematic when they get larger but by then they will be in a bigger tank.
-
When I get the new aquarium I will try to get 3 more kuhli m (can't seem to find them), 3 more panda and 4 zebra or yoyo (probably zebra) loaches.
-
A few questions - any comments on acrylic vs glass with a focus on breakage/leaks? Any comments on 75g vs 120g and my current or target population.
(The tank is moderately planted with good growth on all plants - esp the val which has gone wild; filtration is currently an aquaclear 70 and eheim 2217 as well as a sponge filter. I will be shutting off the aquaclear 70 in a few days but will add a second eheim 2217 on the new aquairum (so two eheim 2217 on the 75g or 120g - i might not need a second on the 75g but definitely 2 on a 120g if i go that route). I don't mind buying a custom aquarium if it will reduce the chance of breakage.
All my tanks are glass store bought except my 350 and 550 which are plywood and acrylic. Acrylic can scratch but it is easy to fix. When moving to the 75 gallon plus range i recommend a sump vice HOB or canister. Personal preference but i keep cichlids and they are messy.

OP
J

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to do a sump pump - and would worry about leaks in the bottom - would require a prebuilt product.

All my tanks are glass store bought except my 350 and 550 which are plywood and acrylic. Acrylic can scratch but it is easy to fix. When moving to the 75 gallon plus range i recommend a sump vice HOB or canister. Personal preference but i keep cichlids and they are messy.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I really dont have any idea on acrylic .vs. glass, but I agree with you, I can't find any loaches!! Correction, I have seen one in real life, and it was dead at PetCo!! Where did you get yours??

OP
J

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
My local lfs has them - lots of different types along with other fishes. I see you are in lexington so if you drive down to nashville try aquatic critters but call them first to make sure they have what you want.

I really dont have any idea on acrylic .vs. glass, but I agree with you, I can't find any loaches!! Correction, I have seen one in real life, and it was dead at PetCo!! Where did you get yours??
Your 12 year old drilled holes in the bottom of your glass tank and then added a sump ?

Sump, not sump pump. Very very easy to build your own. My 12 year old built hers for her 55 gallon Angel tank.

OP
J

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Having never seen one and spent the past hour or so trying to find pictures; it leaves a lot of questions (mostly around how to prevent leaks et all esp if the power goes out or around the holes). While I would explore buying a solution i can't build one right now anyway. I live in a condo and don't really have the room or equipment for cutting et all.

Why would you do that for a sump? You could do that but its asking for trouble. No she drilled holes in the back of her 55 gallon tank for a sump.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Having never seen one and spent the past hour or so trying to find pictures; it leaves a lot of questions (mostly around how to prevent leaks et all esp if the power goes out or around the holes). While I would explore buying a solution i can't build one right now anyway. I live in a condo and don't really have the room or equipment for cutting et all.
No cutting required. You can do an over the rim overflow. Also its easy to make it so that a powerloss has zero impact. Its much cheaper than canisters too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom