Advice Wanted For Algae Prevention

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Phikmis, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Phikmis

Phikmis Valued Member Member

Hello! I have a 10 gallon with live plants and a 5 gallon also with live plants. Whats the best way to get rid of algae on the plants? What are ways to prevent it in the first place? Both tanks have snails and the 10 gallon has 3 amano shrimp and 2 red cherry shrimp

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Well, adding plants will definitely help by soaking up nutrients so the algae can't use it.

Split up your lighting period into 2 hours 4 times a day.

2 hours in the early morning, 2 hours in the late morning, 2 hours in the afternoon, and 2 hours in the evening. This is probably the best way to prevent algae imo.

3. OP
    OP
    Phikmis

IMG_9744.JPG I have a surplus of plants ☺ I am still in highschool so I do not have the opportunity to turn on and off the lighting.

4. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Pick up a cheap timer at Walmart...  

I've had good luck with two photoperiods of about 4-5 hours each.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could also do 3-4 hours on, 4 hours off (or more), and 3-4 hours on so they'll be on when you're home from school.

6. OP
    OP
    Phikmis

As of now, I keep the lights off until about 2 pm then I turn them on until about 8 pm. Too much light?

7. Lorekeeper

6 hours isn't really all that much light. The issue appears when you have a slightly unbalanced tank.

Do you dose any ferts? What substrate do you use? Any CO2?

I ask because if you have a decent light (I assume you do), but little ferts/co2, the algae does better than the plants do.

8. OP
    OP
    Phikmis

The tank is a ten gallon with 5 shrimp, a snail, a betta, 3 neon tetras, and a jewled cory. The substrate is CaribSea Eco Complete Planted Substrate. The light is only about 4 or 5 watts I'm guessing. I couldnt find the exact wattage so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. The light was from either petsmart or petco and was manufactured by Aqueon. I did put root tabs (Flourish or Excel or a brand similar in name) and I occasionally add fertilizer from the same company as the tabs.

9. Lorekeeper

Well...

Is the light LED? If it's an LED manufactured by Aqueon, you aren't gonna have too much success with those plants.

If you wanted to get a incandescent hood with a 6500k CFL and stop dosing ferts for a while, I think that'd help.

10. TexasDomer

You also have some stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss it :)

I wouldn't go with an incandescent light - much less energy efficient than LEDs or fluorescents, and they get hot. If you're going to switch your light, I would go with a glass lid (either store bought or DIY from a hardware store like Lowe's) and a work light with a CFL or LED bulb (if you didn't want to go with an aquarium-specific light, which is doable as well - I would recommend the Finnex Stingray). You might not get good growth from the dwarf hairgrass, as it really does better with higher light and injected CO2.

11. Lorekeeper

Incandescent hood with a CFL bulb ;)

12. TexasDomer

I just don't like hoods haha.

13. Lorekeeper

Ah, makes sense!

To the OP, you might want to look into a sturdy desk lamp (Metal one, has to support a heavy bulb) and possible a 6500k PAR 30-38. They're Led, and would probably light the tank up brighter than you need. As simple CFL in a desk lamp/hood would also work.

14. OP
    OP
    Phikmis

The light worked for so long and now its not working as well so I will definitely look into a better light! Thank you!

15. OP
    OP
    Phikmis

The stocking issue was actually a mistake, as one of my old tanks cracked and my parents refused to let me get a new one. I do water changes every week if not more just to kee everything ok! I do plan on looking into a better light and the lamp is a good idea! Thank you!

16. TexasDomer

Water changes don't make up for stocking issues. Can you rehome some fish?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice