Advice To Finish Cycle

1. Manuel1223

Manuel1223 Valued Member Member

I have a 30 gal freshwater. I used api quickstart and ultimate water conditioner
    Okay everyone here are my readings. Just under 7.6 for ph but high ph was about 7.4
    Ammonia about .50 ppm
    Nitrate is about 5.0
    Nitrite closer to 0 ppm
    Again it's been a week since set up and haven't done a water change. What should I do?
    Current fish 3 red eye tetras
    4 black Molly
    ( fish in cycle was advised by pet shop and it was my first tank. Lesson learned) 20170730_061057.jpg

2. Laxin10

Laxin10 Valued Member Member

Do a water change. It won't hurt your cycle. The bacteria doesn't live in the water. It is good that you show Nitrites, so the process is moving.

3. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

25-30 percent?
    How do you recommend doing it?
    Python? With that I can't figure out how to heat up and condition the water before I put it back in.

4. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

With a python, you can hold a thermometer under running water to get it close to your tank temp. Then before adding water to the tank, you put the necessary dechlorinator in the tank. When you add the water to the tank, let it splash to let any gasses exit the water.

You could also add the water to a clean bucket and heat/condition it there - letting the water outgas there before adding to tank.

Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

That's perfect thank you!

What should my readings be once the cycle is complete? Cant really find a set of solid answers

6. Laxin10

Laxin10 Valued Member Member

After the cycle is complete and you have an established tank, you should be getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates that are less than 40. If any of those numbers rise, do a water change. After a while, you learn how often you should be doing water changes. After that, you don't need to worry about the numbers so often. I haven't checked my water in 6 months on my established tanks. I only do it if the fish are acting strange.

7. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Hmmmmm great advice thank you.

8. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

If you're refilling the tank with a python, make sure you dose your water conditioner for the full tank volume, not just the water you're replacing.

As far as the readings, you're cycled once you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrates. I see you already have nitrates but we need the ammonia to get down to 0.

9. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I hadn't seen this brand of water conditioner before, but it says it removes ammonia. That might be an issue. You need ammonia for the bacteria to grow effectively. If it truly removes ammonia, I would stop using that and get something different. If it detoxifies ammonia, that is ok. It states it detoxifies nitrites, so if it only detoxified ammonia, wouldn't it just say that? The first thing is that I would find out how it truly works. Does it detoxify or remove Ammonia.

Have you been adding bacteria everyday? With QuickStart you need to add it everyday for it to work correctly.

The brand that I suggest instead is Seachem Prime. It detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates up to 1ppm and is a dechlorinator and stress coat.

Using a python you can set the temp of the water very easily. Get a digital thermometer, run the water with the valve open at the sink. Close the valve at the tank. Adjust the temp where you want it. Then flip both valves to start filling. Add full tank volume of dechlorinator to the tank before filling. It works just fine that way.

10. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

I have not been doing quick start every day. Ill be sure to look back at it again. Its been a week since set up. Is it too late to start adding everyday?

Ill look and also purchase the conditioner you recommend.
    Turns out that it detoxifies ammonia. And seachem you only apply when adding fish or starting a new cycle? I added fish a few days ago should i add it?

Only problem with the python is that my sink is like 50 ft away. Which means a 60$ python haha

Perfect thank you!

11. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Start adding the QuickStart everyday. It isn't too late.

I use Seachem Prime with fish in cycles all the time. I add Prime everyday during the cycling process not just during water changes. It is a good all around product. If the Hikari Ultimate works like Prime does, I would add the full tank dose everyday. Does it say how long it works for? (Prime works for 24-48 hours) It will detoxify the ammonia, protecting the fish. If you don't have something that protects your fish from ammonia, going above 0.25ppm is harmful for your fish. So you will need to do water changes more often.

The Python is 100% worth the $60. I had to save up to get it. But I am sooo happy I did it. It has been the best equipment purchase so far.

12. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Wow so you recommend doing both. Ill check the bottles when i get home and take your advice. Thank you!
    I think ill get that python soon.

Okay so i did a water change (25-30%). Should i give readings in 2 days? Also when do filter changes get done? Ive read every 3 weeks. And is it a straight swap?

13. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Here are the results of the latest test. And advice? 20170801_082606.jpg
    Ammonia is at .5 but slightly increased i feel

14. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

I agree. Am I colour blind - I think both Nitrite and Nitrate are 0? ...

15. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

It looked pretty close to 5. But i may be really picky

16. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

You're right, I see it now :)