Advice to a Noob Cory Keeper

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Leafray, Aug 12, 2015.

1. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Hey guys!
    I recently received a pair of bronze cories from a friend of mine who was moving. Here's some info on the tank they're in...
    Amazon 33g long tank:
    Water perimeters:
    PH; around 6.5-6.2? ( have peat in the filter )
    Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate: 0
    Hardness: soft
    Temp: 75 degrees

Decor/plants:
    Plants: Amazon sword, anubias, Java fern+moss and duckweed
    Substrate: 1/3 pea gravel 2/3 white aquarium sand
    Lots of big rocks and driftwood...

Fish:
    - 4 times albino glo light tetras? Breeding constantly
    - 5 times Otos ( pretty sure I started out with three... )
    - 2 times breeding blue eyed long fin BN Plecos
    - bronze cories
    - 5 times neon tetras, also breeding
    - 3 times unknown fry

So the tank is set up with sand and rocks on one side ( where the filter is ) the filter is a aqueon 70.... The flow from the filter is stopped by a couple of driftwood and a rock in the slight middle of the tank.... The rest of the tank is gravel and plants. The glo light tetras tend to like to stay by plants, while the neons LOVE the flow. Both the neons and glo lights have one female ( huge belly ) and a couple of males chasing her. I never remove the eggs because I just don't have time to replant everything, but I recently saw three unknown fry in the moss... My question is, do I need more cories? Do I have enough space for more? Anyone have any tips to keeping cories? One of the Otos have broken away from its buddies and hang out with the Cory :) the bottom feeders have tons of algae on the rocks and I throw in some shrimp pellets and zucchini everyday. So, if anyone has tips on keeping cories, please enlighten me!
    Thanks guys!

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

2. GenaWell Known MemberMember

No way! You got your tetras to breed?! That's awesome, I didn't know that was possible outside of a fancy breeding facility.

3. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Yeah, the tanks been set up since March, got fish in May, in June, I saw a huge glo light tetra... After a few YouTube searches, I found out it was pregnant, never stopped being fat after that, see eggs on my plants all the time! ( they favor the moss )

4. gsong321Valued MemberMember

I love cory's! We've had them for years now and they love lots of company. I had as many as 12 in my 29 gal and they thrived. The only problem was constant eggs! I would get up in the morning and find them going crazy, eggs everywhere. Seemed like every other day they were hatching. We only have 2 left now, they got old and slowly died off but they are a kick to watch and very easily maintained. Good luck!

5. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Corys are a shoaling fish & as such are best kept in groups of at least 6, I'd suggest you get a few more

6. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Thanks guys! I'll look into getting a few more, maybe petcos dollar per fish sale?

Also, any tips on the water perimeters or breeding habitat of the fish? ( how to sex, how to trigger etc?)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice