Advice Requested: Freshwater Puffers.

PseudotropheusKenobi

In the next 12-18 months I’m planning to buy a very large tank. I think it will roughly be 7x2x2.5FT (LXWXH), so roughly 235G US and filtered by 2 FX6s. It’s not a custom tank so I’m limited by the dimensions, otherwise I’d have liked more width than height.

I’m thinking to source a 1-2” wild caught Fahaka puffer for this tank. I plan to keep it with some Bristlenose Pleco’s to mow down on the biofilm because I really don’t want to go scratch my acrylic with a scraper. I’m already experiencing that on my African Cichlid tank. I know this can be hit or miss, but I’m willing to take the plunge once.

My tap parameters seems to be ideal for a wild caught Fahaka. Regardless the water would become hard from the shells etc.

PH: 7.4
KH: 11
GH: 16

I’m well versed in Puffer care in terms of trimming their beaks and feeding/tank mates etc, but I’ve read conflicting information regarding whether Fahaka’s tolerate planted aquariums or not.

Is anyone able to chime in on this? Given that opposite this tank will be my rocky African Cichlid Tank, I was really hoping to be able get back into planted aquariums. If a Fahaka will rip the plants to shreds, then I likely will not keep one in this tank.

Thank you all!

sslliitthheerr

I would only start with a few and if the fish seems to like the plants and not be destroying them then put more but I would not do full out immediately. I was happy when I found this thread because I have been doing a lot of research on puffers

PseudotropheusKenobi

I would only start with a few and if the fish seems to like the plants and not be destroying them then put more but I would not do full out immediately. I was happy when I found this thread because I have been doing a lot of research on puffers
I guess you’re right. I was planning to quarantine and grow him out in my 70G tank for a few weeks until he hits 3”. My supplier gets them in at 3CM.

I could trial plants in with him in quarantine and see how that goes. My concern is I’m not sure how nice/enriching a Fahaka-friendly scape can look without being able to keep live plants/tank mates.

Which puffers have you been researching?

sslliitthheerr

I guess you’re right. I was planning to quarantine and grow him out in my 70G tank for a few weeks until he hits 3”. My supplier gets them in at 3CM.

I could trial plants in with him in quarantine and see how that goes. My concern is I’m not sure how nice/enriching a Fahaka-friendly scape can look without being able to keep live plants/tank mates.

Which puffers have you been researching?
fahaka and pea puffers but I would put some plants and then as he grows if he is not demolishing them then I would put more and more until you are sure he likes them and if you wanted to you could even lower the tank size to 200 gallons

PseudotropheusKenobi

fahaka and pea puffers but I would put some plants and then as he grows if he is not demolishing them then I would put more and more until you are sure he likes them and if you wanted to you could even lower the tank size to 200 gallons
I’ve spent today toying with the idea of getting a Mbu and using this 235G as a grow out for a years and then upgrading to a larger than when the time comes.

I’m still researching what the difference may be in the food bill between an adult Fahaka vs Mbu.

wishuponafish

I have a fahaka in a 150g planted tank and he likes hiding behind plants like swords. He doesn’t like the densely planted areas of the tank however, and never swims through them now that he’s big.
I have seen what appears to be a bite mark on my plants once or twice, but that’s all.
As for plecos, an adult fahaka can easily rip one up if it wanted to, and some like to nip slow fish like plecos when they’re young. It will depend on your puffer’s personality. I keep siamese algae eaters for algae control and he doesn’t show any interest in them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Breeee123
  • Question
  • fieldsofhayley
  • Puffers
Replies
Views
fieldsofhayley
  • Imthatpeep100
  • Puffers