advice Please,

1. passion336 Initiate Member

Hello there...

I have just setup my first tropical tank and everything seems to be going well atm...

I would just like some all round advice on fish and if there is anything I need for the tank to help the fish?.

I have
    10 watt pixie filter (Aqua pro m700)
    ?? watt heater
    1x african albo frog
    4x 2 male 2 female orange tux platty's
    2x male guppies
    1x male fighter
    1x male sunset platty
    2x plants

thank you for you time and any advice is wanted

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!

what size tank do you have? depending on the size, depends on what and how the stock will do in the future..

but i can give you a bit of advice without the size of the tank....bettas dont usually play nice with other fish...eventually, he will pick on them all or be picked on ...they are fish that prefer, and do much better in a tank alone...

your froggie will have a major issue finding food with the fish you have with him...they dont see very well and with platies and guppies, they are just pigs of the fish world and wont be nice to the frog to allow him to eat.......

hope to see some pics sometime!!!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. The titles says your tank is 65 gallons but your aquarium info says 24 x 18 x 14. Is that inches or cm?

Your African albino frog, is that a Clawed frog or an African Dwarf Frog?
    If it's a Clawed Frog, they can grow from 2.5 inches to 5 inches depending on if it's a male or female. There's a good possibility that it'll eat your fish.
    You can tell the difference by looking at their front 'feet'.
    An ACF will have claws with no webbing. The ADF will have webbing on his front flippers.
    I don't know that I've seen Albino ADF's, only Albino ACF's.

Once the tank size is clarified, members can help you further.
    Best of luck with your tank. :)

Edit: Thanks Shawnie, I missed the betta.

4. passion336 Initiate Member

Sorry it is 24x12x15 inches
    And yes its african albino clawed frog and he feeds really well all the fish seem to let it eat when it want's.
    when it gets too big it will be put in my friends tank

For some reason i can post pictures does any one know why the format is fine ????

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

6. alicem Member Member

I was trying to figure the size of the tank too, Shawnie.
    The title says 65G but in the aquarium info it says "24x18x14" which would be (in inches) approx. 26 US gallon.
    passion336, have you upgraded your tank to a 65G?

I'm not sure what a "pixie" filter is ??? Do you know the brand name and model?
    Or does it state on the box how many gallon per hour it's rated for?
    Good filtration and adequate water movement is important for your tank.

Weekly partial water changes are a good thing for a healthy aquarium.
    I'm glad to see you have some live plants. They are challenging, but a real plus once you get the hang of them.
    alicem

7. DRock914 Member Member

I wouldn't leave the frog in there too long. I've had bad experiences with an albino frog in a community tank. The frog kept eating the fish one by one during the night and some of the fish were bigger then the frog, since then we have only kept them in a species tank.

8. alicem Member Member

oops, I see you've answered the tank size question: 20G high.
    alicem

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Alice, the OP clarified in a couple of posts above.

Passion,
    I changed the title and took out the 65g and added that this is a sick cory to get the attention of members who know about cories.

10. alicem Member Member

Oh, you have a sick cory?
    Is it a single or are there more than one in the tank?
    What are the problems that make you think the cory is sick??
    Are you doing partial water changes regularly?
    alicem

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;sh I never saw a sick cory either....am i missing something?

12. passion336 Initiate Member

Thank you so much its 65 liters and ive added and updated my picture and info thank you

13. alicem Member Member

Ahh, that's a neat internal fitler. I am unfamiliar with them, but looks like it should work well for you.
    http://www.southcoastpetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-aqua-aquarium-internal-filter-m700-120l-p-2395.html

Your tank looks nice. I love the plants. :)

Do you have a sick corydoras?
    Or, have we answered your question?
    I'm sorry if we have strayed from you origional post...
    alicem

14. passion336 Initiate Member

Sorry thats what the moderater wrote.
    I just wanted any advice on appearance and anything to make the fish more comfortable. Thankyou.

15. alicem Member Member

Ok, sure, no problem. I'm glad you aren't having issues with the fish.
    Your tank looks nice.
    One thing you might want to do is raise the water level so it is hidden behind the black trim.
    I like the look of a full tank and no water lines, but that's just my opinion, plus I have no idea what water levels should be with frogs...

You could add more plants, like a small anubia (or two) tied to a rock in the middle.
    Or you could gently wedge it's roots between the rocks in the rock structure.

If you would do 20% to 30% partial water changes weekly, your fish will be more comfortable.
    Be sure to match the temp. of the replacement water to what's in the tank as best you can.
    Also, don't forget to dechlorinate the replacement water. :;hf
    The fresh water helps keep your tank healthy by lowering the nitrates that build up over time.

When you do a partial water change clean the gravel at the same time by gravel vac-ing with the syphon tube.
    You'll want to stay back away from the plant root areas with the sypon tube, tho.
    :)
    hth,
    alicem

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:whistling: What moderator brought up a sick cory?

I'm terrirbly sorry, had the threads mixed up. :;smack
    Title has been changed again. geez.
    The OP doesn't have a sick cory. :rolleyes:

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

whew, getting through this was confusing! lol

keep an eye on the platies. If you are mixing genders with livebearers, you generally want to have a 3f/1m ratio, as otherwise the males will harass the female, sometimes literally to death. If your females are being stressed (I guess fish can't claim headaches), then you may have to get rid of a male or add a couple of females. Right now you have 3 males and 2 females, I think.

I agree about the fighter too. Keep a close eye on him. I've read that guppies and bettas do not get along. Or even better, get him his own 5 gallon home. ;)

18. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Ditto on the betta concern.

A point that may have been lost in the cory confusion is the concern about the clawed frog. When Shawnie mentioned your frog may not be getting enough to eat, she was thinking it was an ADF. Now that you've clarified that it's a clawed frog, the concern is that it will begin to pick off your fish one by one, as Drock and Lucy mentioned. They do get large and they will eat your fish. It's just what they do. It's not surprise your fish are letting him eat whatever he wants. ;)

Otherwise, I love the tank! :)