Advice Please

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bettaeverything, Apr 21, 2018.

1. BettaeverythingNew MemberMember

What fish mates do you think I can have with a betta in a 10g tank?

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Shrimp and/or snails only.

3. Gonoli

GonoliValued MemberMember

It honestly depends on the temperament of your betta me and my friend used to have a betta in a 10 gallon with some mollies and they did just fine together no aggression and everything was fine

4. DaleM

DaleMWell Known MemberMember

10 gallon too small for Mollies and a Betta. I'd stick to snails or shrimp as per Katie's advice

5. OP
    OP
    B

BettaeverythingNew MemberMember

How many shrimps/snails can I have with the betta.

6. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Shrimp have a very low bio load so you can have many. Some bettas will eat them as did mine but some wont. Most suggest trying ghost shrimp to see if they will get eaten or not as they are cheap and if they are eaten is a good quality snack for the betta. With snails it would depend on which snail you are interested in but typically you can do 3-4

7. Jyl080208

Jyl080208Valued MemberMember

Be careful with shrimp too. There needs to be a lot of cover, and plenty for the shrimp to eat. I had a few shrimp with a betta, and they would grab at his tail. But once I upgraded to a bigger tank they were fine

8. seth rodgers

seth rodgersValued MemberMember

Shrimp are also very sensitive and i would recommend doing the drip method when acclimating them.. i love snails, i have 3 in seperate tanks and they help alot and honestly are cool to look at. i would recommend snails but shrimp are very cool as well! i would t recommend putting other fish in with the betta though however you could do a different combination of fish!

9. Frozen One

Frozen OneValued MemberMember

Where do you get this idea? Totally false.

10. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Being new to fish keeping, how are you able to say this is Totally false?

Male bettas are a poor choice for a community aquarium. They can be fine for months and then kill everything around them. Then there are males that are fine for years.

I have had both. It is not worth the risk.

11. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

The quoted post is the safest measure for the animals involved, more experience is needed before you try and set up a community with betta. Other fish with betta can ended badly for all involved. The betta can be shy and become stressed by the other fish without them ever touching him and due as a result. The betta can go months without damaging anything then one morning you wake up to everything dead except the betta who is now parading around like a champion fighter. Your other fish could think the betta's fins look tasty and pick on him because he can't get away. Your betta can murder the fish you have slowly or the fish will be terrified of him and hide all the time. Males and females are equally aggressive and can act out jealousy. Placing them with snails or shrimp provides the least likely amount of damage possible. Ghost shrimp are used to test how live food hungry/hunter the betta is. However some betta will snack on more colorful shrimp and leave ghosts alone. It depends on the betta's personality, some can handle it, some even decimate snails.
    We here Gove the safest route of pairing things to avoid catstrophy and try to help make sure your fish are able to thrive, not just manage to stay alive.

12. Frozen One

There is no fact when it comes to behavior. It’s not a fact that a betta will do anything many think they will. How vast is your knowledge of Betta fish? Are you aware there are wild types that are completely docile? There are wild types that won’t bother anybody in a tank. As for the splendens it really just depends on the fish. Fish are like humans in the respect that no one fish is exactly like another.

13. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Not to mention, it's a lot harder to even find a fish that can do well long term in a 10 gallon tank than most people realize.

14. Thunder_o_b

Is over 50 years of fish keeping enough to satisfy you?

EDIT: It is a given that on non specialized betta forums when one asks about a betta with other fish it is a male splenden not a wild cousin.

Ask the OP if he was asking about a wild betta or a common one from a pet store.

Your argument is absurd.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  15. Frozen One

No you’re just very mad and it’s evident. I wonder what splendens derive from.. hmm there is no argument. This is a matter of opinion.

16. Thunder_o_b

You are right I am mad, this forum has been flooded with people completely lacking in hands on experience with fish talking like they are experts and the fish suffer.

Yes they come from wild stock. That statement just highlights your absurdity. That is like saying a collie comes from a wolf in the wild so they are the same.

17. Frozen One

Yeah you seem very passionate. I didn’t say they were the same. did they teach evolution when you were in school? (Not a subjective question). Every species can exhibit qualities and characteristics of the species they derive from. I’m not saying I’m an expert. By no means am I an expert, which I’ve stated on numerous responses. I said that the whole idea of Betta only being able to be with shrimp and snails in a 10 gallon is “absurd” because I’ve done it. Successfully. Of course you can tell me, “one day you might wake up and all of your fish are dead” but I don’t think that’s likely at all. Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. Genuinely sorry if I did. It’s hard (almost impossible) to understand someone’s tone when you can’t actually hear them.

18. Thunder_o_b

Condescending , nice switch of tact.

I'll end this right now. You are added to my ignore list. We shall not cross on this forum again. There too many good people to help and learn from here to waste more time on you.

19. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

To the OP, mystery snails are a delight. I frequently sit and watch mine, he is such a character. I know some bettas won't accept snails, but if you have a fairly chilled betta a mystery snail could be an option (they come in loads of interesting colours too).

20. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

To Op, you could also go the route of nano fish (cpds, embers, chili rasboras) or C. Habrosus (salt and pepper cories) or C. Hastasus (dwarf cory). All of these would be fine in a 10g with a betta, but you have to be extremely careful to watch behavior, and it’s advisable to add the betta last, so he has a higher likelihood of excepting the fish as part of his habitat. Best of luck to you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice